Neil Young now US citizen

Marvel

Pono was not a handicapped child, but he did abandon it.
Yeah, what ever happened with Pono? I never got a chance to try it out. I seem to remember the music downloads were pretty expensive.

I'm assuming that it just wasn't selling?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Um, no.

Fake news from the 80's?  Didn't he move his wife out of their home to a rental dig along with their son that has CP?

Not his wife, it was a girlfriend. Anyways, not a great story as she had to sue him. 

Dave,

The Pono music store died when Apple bought the company that supported the PMW website and promptly shut it down.  The timing of Pono was poor as it coincided with the trend toward streaming digital media, rather than owing it.

Despite all its genuine shortcomings, a Pono player, with its ESS Sabre DAC, feeding Its balanced output to the balanced inputs of my class-D chip amps is a synergistic match made in heaven.  The only improvement I would want is a remote control.  Absent a remote, if you recall, rather long balanced cables (dual 1/8" TRS connectors at the Pono. And XLR connectors at the amp) allow me to control the music from the couch in my small basement space.

The best way to gauge my opinion of Pono is to know that I bought four players; the first as a Kickstarter early adopter, and the fourth last week as an eventual replacement.

7 hours ago, SWL said:
8 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Yeah, what ever happened with Pono? I never got a chance to try it out. I seem to remember the music downloads

IME, if only purchased during promotional sales, the cost per track was comparable to HDTracks.  Rather than the cost, IMO, the death of Pono Muisc World was caused by the reasons outlined in the post above.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 7:35 PM, DizRotus said:

Dave,

The Pono music store died when Apple bought the company that supported the PMW website and promptly shut it down.  The timing of Pono was poor as it coincided with the trend toward streaming digital media, rather than owing it.

Despite all its genuine shortcomings, a Pono player, with its ESS Sabre DAC, feeding Its balanced output to the balanced inputs of my class-D chip amps is a synergistic match made in heaven.  The only improvement I would want is a remote control.  Absent a remote, if you recall, rather long balanced cables (dual 1/8" TRS connectors at the Pono. And XLR connectors at the amp) allow me to control the music from the couch in my small basement space.

The best way to gauge my opinion of Pono is to know that I bought four players; the first as a Kickstarter early adopter, and the fourth last week as an eventual replacement.

Your setup really sound great, but I'm biased. But it still sounds great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1