Extending La Scala bass bin

Tizman

Also, just for clarity, if I use a La Scala bass bin and the K-402 (with a very large bass horn for the bottom end) crossed over at a frequency appropriate for the La Scalas (100HZ or so?), what am I losing relative to using a Jubilee bass bin crossed over at a lower frequency?

If you were to build some University Classics, you would not have to worry about the bifurcated horn, but as Chris says, there are no published polars or other data available. Nico took an original pair (in the Netherlands) and reworked them. He crosses his to the mid horn at 1kHz. The only tricky part in the build is in the very bottom section, but my son and I are considering making them and selling a small packed with just those parts to take the guesswork out of it. We are intending to build a pair relatively soon.

Bruce

Classic_28.jpg

2 hours ago, Tizman said:

I'm in Toronto, Canada.  I have never seem one available used since I started looking about a year ago, at any price.  If there are any members that have a pair for sale (or know of a pair) within reasonable driving distance of Toronto, please let me know.

Heh, I obtained four double bins from JWC....and two single bins from someone else.

I sold the two singles (as I had expenses in them) and gave the two (pair) double MWM bins away as I had no cost in them and I simply forwarded the deal to the next person.

You're right though, they don't come up exceedingly often.

40 minutes ago, Tizman said:

Also, just for clarity, if I use a La Scala bass bin and the K-402 (with a very large bass horn for the bottom end) crossed over at a frequency appropriate for the La Scalas (100HZ or so?), what am I losing relative to using a Jubilee bass bin crossed over at a lower frequency?

My opinion is it might only matter relative to how hard you listen.

I personally think if you used a (horn loaded) sub, mated it with the LaScala bass bin with the K402 on top, you're just about there.  However, I'm not too versed in the polar coverage conversations.

For my beer & peanuts hearing, that would be awesome.

3 hours ago, Chris A said:

For your application, you haven't stated what kind of subwoofers you're considering, or whether the music that you play doesn't require response below 40 Hz.

Music will be very varied, with some material that includes low frequency synthesized bass (albeit not that much of it).  The subwoofer will be a very large 30HZ horn loaded sub that will be as straight as possible (possibly with one fold or 90 degree turn).  I am working on a design for that sub.  It is very much a work in progress, but my most recent modelling is for a horn 6 Meters long with a mouth of 4.5 square meters.  Thus my previous question with regard to using La Scala bins instead of Jubilees.  Since the deep bass will be covered by this large horn, what am I gaining by using Jubilee bins over La Scala bins from a polars and dispersion perspective?

6 hours ago, Randyh said:

eautiful setup - 4 k43  or K33 woofers - 3 forte speakers and these huge horns - no subs needed

They have Forte speakers for rears, too. This is an old pic, they now have a 1502 horn sub in the front.

On 1/26/2020 at 11:23 AM, Tizman said:
On 1/26/2020 at 11:01 AM, babadono said:

Thought they was unobtanium.

I believe they can be purchased from your local Klipsch Pro dealer. 

I stand corrected. It appears it is the single woofer bins that are not attainable.