Belle Klipsch

Todd W

Even big monkeys fall out of the trees once in a while. The AB (and AL) crossovers were a swing and a miss by the Klipsch team. The AB2 wasn't much better. The AB3 seemed to get it right but then the Belle was no more.

There aren't even rebuild kits for AB or AL, dont try to recap, move on.

I thought my Belles w AB x over sounded very good, that's why i bought them. My first pair of LS had AL and sounded fine. Once I replaced them, I was shocked at what I had been missing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Todd W said:

Thank you JohnA. They sound as good today, as the day I bought them! Crisp, clear and punchy! Curious what a z-bracket is thought. Could you please explain. Not kidding about being an hifi amateur 😂

Z brackets push the mouth of the tweeter flush with the front of the cabinet.  Klipsch started that in the late '80s.  It is one of the best mods I made to my La Scalas.  Originally, my tweeters fired through a 3/4"  thick hole, like every other Klipsch.  Flush mounting the tweeters killed a bunch of grittiness or harshness.

The Type AB crossover is nothing like the Type AL.  It shouldn't sound like one either. 

6 hours ago, Randyh said:

first question , I have heresies that are 75-77 and they sound amazing , how do you account that the CAN  oil caps are good after 45 years , can they sound good and be bad all at once  , were the caps  better made or is it that a Heresy 1 just  doesnt damage it xos over time -

-now I have a pair of CW1 1980 , and they are due for sure -they are the same type of oil cans -the highs and mids are muffled

as for the AL XO, what is it that is so bad about these --They weigh a ton , and there are  so many parts in them - I have 2 pairs of LSI and when I bought them used , the tweeters were all  shot -

I have an unproven theory that speakers that are used regularly don't suffer the same deterioration that unused speakers do. 

There is also build tolerances in the caps. 

The AL made a howling resonance in the range of a French horn, near the crossover point to the squawker. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JohnA said:

Z brackets push the mouth of the tweeter flush with the front of the cabinet.  Klipsch started that in the late '80s.  It is one of the best mods I made to my La Scalas.  Originally, my tweeters fired through a 3/4"  thick hole, like every other Klipsch.  Flush mounting the tweeters killed a bunch of grittiness or harshness.

The Type AB crossover is nothing like the Type AL.  It shouldn't sound like one either. 

Well I feel like a dummy.  went and peeked And saw the z-bracket this time. Pretty self explanatory. (Sorry). I guess I am helping your unproven theory, as I fire up my stereo at least a few times a week! I am going to leave everything original for now, I really do love the way they sound! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JohnA said:

I have an unproven theory that speakers that are used regularly don't suffer the same deterioration that unused speakers do. 

Agree 100%. I've done several restorations of automobiles that were stored for many years with next to no miles on them. When they were brought out of storage, rubber, plastic, and fabric had become dry and brittle, especially rubber, which outgasses over time. Somehow, pliability is maintained with use.