This song may break my Heresy speakers?

MeloManiac

57 million views on YouTube from sullen preteens who don't spend any money on music unfortunately, and who's attention will be focused on the newest shiny sensation next year.  "Royals" by Lorde (remember her?) has 794M views on youtube - how's she doing now?  And she made music you could listen to IMHO.  In fact I'm listening to her 2017 Melodrama album now.

PS - haven't the Grammy's been rigged for a long time?  Isn't that why everyone makes a corny Christmas album every year?  They list everyone, including the janitor, at the studio as contributing on the album and then they get to vote?  Or is this just one of those internet stories?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Islander said:

Actually, there have been lots of comments on the forum (not many lately) about how having poor sealing on Heresys causes poor bass response.  It may have been part of the reason the Heresy II and III have permanently installed backs, meaning that the drivers and crossovers are all installed from the fronts of the speakers, through the driver mounting holes.  The motorboard (the speaker's front panel) is also permanently mounted on the H-2 and H-3.  That means that the only leaks can come from around the drivers, which is much less likely. 

I just researched this couple days ago because i like the old style, mounting the transducer behind the motorboard from a purely visual aspect. Looks cleaner and one could veneer the cab and motorboard face/run no grill like the restorers (Team Bickle) from TX do. Looks really cool to me, but Klipsch went to transducers mounted on the front because of diffraction from the motorboard itself. I guess sealing of the rear panel was an issue too, but that seems pretty easy to overcome for a capable guy/owner. 

Excerpt from a Klipsch doc:  "All of the drivers in the Heresy II were front mounted to reduce the diffraction effects caused by rear mounting and firing through the motor board."

27 minutes ago, polizzio said:

I just researched this couple days ago because i like the old style, mounting the transducer behind the motorboard from a purely visual aspect. Looks cleaner and one could veneer the cab and motorboard face/run no grill like the restorers (Team Bickle) from TX do. Looks really cool to me, but Klipsch went to transducers mounted on the front because of diffraction from the motorboard itself. I guess sealing of the rear panel was an issue too, but that seems pretty easy to overcome for a capable guy/owner. 

Excerpt from a Klipsch doc:  "All of the drivers in the Heresy II were front mounted to reduce the diffraction effects caused by rear mounting and firing through the motor board."

I don't know about the air leak problem but I think any driver that has to go through a straight walled tunnel to exit will never sound as good as one that doesn't all other factors being equal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I qualify as idiot then.

I spent an hour+ reading your super MWM bass cab build and tuning thread early this morning. I gleaned a lot from that thread. You def are not an idiot. Smarter than most of us here. Abandoning the tv....that is pure brilliance imo. I need to work on that.

You and Claude have it goin on!

2 minutes ago, polizzio said:

I spent an hour+ reading your super MWM bass cab build and tuning thread early this morning. You def are not an idiot. Smarter than most of us here. Abandoning the tv....that is pure brilliance imo. I need to work on that.

You do know reading the S-MWM thread can be a very slippery path don't you?

• Like 1

Just now, Dave A said:

I enjoyed it. Those big boys are impressive for shear output I bet. Your construction was well executed and documented for sure. Are they now performing in your house/living space?

I don't have the space for really large cabs at my place, so I'm safe. I am content with my corns and my sub. I'm learning here, I'm a rookie.

31 minutes ago, polizzio said:

I enjoyed it. Those big boys are impressive for shear output I bet. Your construction was well executed and documented for sure. Are they now performing in your house/living space?

I don't have the space for really large cabs at my place, so I'm safe. I am content with my corns and my sub. I'm learning here, I'm a rookie.

Yes they are daily listeners but in my shop not my house. If I ever get something for inside the house it may well be Super Heresy's as we are jammed up with to much stuff as it is. Space is a magnet for all the junk you can find it seems.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Islander said:

... substandard songs don't get 57 million views on YouTube.

I wonder how YouTube determines what constitutes a view; is it required to be played end to end, at normal speed, within a browser or an app, and what about a multitude of compromised Windows boxes robotically fetching the video but doing nothing with it "on location"?  Some things worthy of consideration, I'd guess...

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Dave A said:
5 hours ago, polizzio said:

I spent an hour+ reading your super MWM bass cab build and tuning thread early this morning. You def are not an idiot. Smarter than most of us here. Abandoning the tv....that is pure brilliance imo. I need to work on that.

Na, it had no affect for me.

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, polizzio said:

I saw the pics of your stained oak plywood creations. And your sub :)

And read your concerns over dust buildup.

I used a shop vac to start last time, I hate dust it seems to multiply faster than I get to feeling like dusting. It's hard to reach inside big bass bins, I'm tall, old and don't bend like I used to.

15 minutes ago, Dave A said:
6 hours ago, dtel said:

Na, it had no affect for me.

Yes but you are not normal.

You win, can't argue with that but it's what I'm used to.  Normal is relative anyway

15 minutes ago, dtel said:

I used a shop vac to start last time, I hate dust it seems to multiply faster than I get to feeling like dusting. It's hard to reach inside big bass bins, I'm tall, old and don't bend like I used to.

You win, can't argue with that but it's what I'm used to.  Normal is relative anyway

Let me give you a not normal tip. If you don't muss the dust it accumulates evenly and looks like it is supposed to be there. Tip number two, if you just can't keep from disturbing the dust duratex them medium brown and you never have to dust them. Bass bin tops also make great storage shelves by the way.

On 1/26/2020 at 8:27 PM, Randyh said:

there is no way that your Heresy 72 are up to specs , with a K77 alnico , a K55V and a k22 ,  one of the components is not working properly or the crossovers are off , get your speakers checked

Sorry for the late reaction - I've been down with the flu and fever.

Well, I listened to the song again on the Heresy speakers, and they are fine. They just make the distortion effect much harsher than the RP160M speakers. So what I heard and triggered my panic reaction, is actually a very distorted bass, deliberately put into the track by her brother, Finneas O'Connor. He's in the video below.

5 hours ago, dtel said:

I used a shop vac to start last time, I hate dust it seems to multiply faster than I get to feeling like dusting. 

Elden, I'm right there with you on dust. You just cannot stop it, just isn't gonna happen. 80% of it is human shed skin and hair, and fabric/textile particles from clothing, linens, and towels. If you have inside pets, its much much worse. I just spent some time sealing the return air to my HVAC unit, and closely examining the entire system for air leakage. Our HVAC units are just "big mixers" or conveyors of dust particles, in addition to heating and cooling our homes. But there are techniques and living habits to help control dust in the home. Yes, I'm sort of OCD.