R.I.P. Kobe Bryant

TasDom

RIP Kabobe. That was my nickname for him. When he and Shaq were on the Lakers I was a fan living in SoCal for sure.

12 minutes ago, USNRET said:

why is it that a basketball “star” with a criminal background such a news item?

Cuz of his talent and the entertainment people enjoyed by him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, USNRET said:

People die every day, why is it that a basketball “star” with a criminal background is such a news item? I know that my question is rhetorical ....

Because in our society, people put huge emphasis on wealth, looks, and popularity. Huge emphasis on appearance and wealth. I agree with you 100%, people die every hour in the US. Most people acknowledging the death of Kobe never met the man, or know him personally.

And here is the proof..........eight other people died in that helo with KB. How many shout outs, memorandums, or RIPs you see for those individuals?

Did they mention their names and families @ the grammies last night?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, babadono said:

Saw cell phone vid of crash just now. Something definitely fell off the chopper then it went into non recoverable(?) rotation, crash and boom.

Haven't seen that but read that an eye witness (ear witness???) said that they heard sputtering prior to the crash.

I am a novice aircrewman with 2000 hours in helos and 8000 hours in fixed wing so am spitting out opinion based on military missions, search and rescue and  3 years as flight engineer on VIP flights and without the benefit of a Holiday Inn Express.

I have watched the track and listened to the radio calls.

My opinion is that there were several contributing factors.
1) High profile customer. Pilot would feel compelled to fulfill the customer's request; it is a revenue flight with ramifications if the service was not to satisfaction..

2) Marginal VFR at departure and conditions deteriorated rapidly causing PIC to request special visual flight rule clearance. It happens.
3) Pilot finding himself in conditions where he needed exceeding difficultly help from ATC due to weather and traffic accepted instruction to follow a certain highway due to extreme lack of visual clues (here I no idea about the IFR instrumentation the helo had available), accepted those instruction and attempted to comply.
4) Based on my hearing the audio between aircraft and ATC as well as the radar tracks I believe the pilot made an error on the flight path by believing he was following the correct highway when in fact he got low in order to comply, followed the wrong path and flew directly into the side of a hill/mountain. Without low ground warning proximity being queried from a frontal aspect and solely relying on RADALT does not provide warning of a rapid change in terrain elevation.
5) In the 1970's I crewed AH-1J Cobras from the Bell plant in Ft Worth to Pax River Maryland. TACAN and VOR were somewhat beyond our reach at the altitude we flew; I had a Rand McNally spread out in the front seat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1