Lower front corners of RF-7 II cabinet splitting - repair thoughts?

Schwa

The front four corners on all of my Klipsch RF-7 IIs are splitting just like the picture shows.  I'm not sure why this has happened; the speakers have never gotten wet, they're in a low-humidity finished basement, and they've never even been moved since I installed them.  That said, they could've been like this for a long time, but at this point they're six years old so a possible warranty claim is out of the cards.  The splits don't extend into the interior of the speaker (obviously - you wouldn't been able to see the orange foot behind them otherwise).  Also, the splits aren't just the veneers peeling back because, again, you wouldn't be able to see through the entire thickness of the speaker.  FWIW, the splits seem to stop where the routed channel/inlay on the bottom of the speaker ends, so I'm hoping they're as bad as they're going to get.

Since I suspect this is purely a cosmetic issue, what's the best/least intrusive way to fix this?  I'm leaning toward filling the splits with colored wax furniture filler and calling it good.  I could clamp the splits and try to glue them back together, but given my limited skills that has a high probability of making a minor cosmetic issue much worse.

TIA for any suggestions!

IMG_8850.JPG

I would try to press some very thin liquid wood glue under the veneer with a very thin spatula, then put tension belts around the whole box, pull it tight and let it dry for one or two days. You have to turn the RF 7 upside down to do this work ... it's just a spontaneous idea.....🤠

Regards MicroMara

• Like 1

I think I figured out the right way to do this without making a mess.  Since I have access to the inside of the split corners because of the way the bottom of the speaker is constructed, I can use a syringe to squirt wood glue into the back sides of the splits and it shouldn’t get all over the veneer.  I can then clamp the split closed by clamping the parallel sides of the speaker.  No muss, no fuss, and should be a permanent repair.