Active Crossover Recommendations

MEH Synergy

20 minutes ago, hanksjim1 said:

Anyone care to comment on this unit? 

Sure, I borrowed it from a friend and used it in a previous rig I had years ago.   Added nasty haze to the highs, I couldn't listen to anything with it in for longer than a few songs.  Xilica was the best digital unit I have personally used in one of my rigs thus far.  If I don't like the unit I purchased, was only $15 to try. 

13 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Sure, I borrowed it from a friend and used it in a previous rig I had years ago.   Added nasty haze to the highs, I couldn't listen to anything with it in for longer than a few songs.  Xilica was the best digital unit I have personally used in one of my rigs thus far.  If I don't like the unit I purchased, was only $15 to try. 

If anyone wants to use a DBX, the Venue360 would be the better option. Analogue OR AES digital inputs, and 96kHz sample rate...

The Sublime was/is only $15 to try?

I have a Marchand analog XM1 2 way.  I have had it for 20 years.  I thought there was something wrong with it.  Opened it up and it said 1985 on it.  Sent it in, nothing wrong(my poor diagnosis).  While it was there, we put better op amps in it.  I think it sounds good.  Also has high and low volumes. The new version digital XM 44 is $1000 balanced is +150.  Is DSP used to make up for speaker issues or room issues?  Knowing my behavior it would be endless tweaking.

I have used Marchand on and off for 20 years as well,  Currently using an xm-9,  2 way.  Works very good.  The Sublime unit looks alot  like it offers the same features as a Marchand. Way different topology but same features. IE Level adjustments............... I have never used the digital X-Overs, every time I look at one its like they are written in greek.  A whole new learning curve.  I have never heard a time delay issue. a few folks that know much more than I have never mentioned an issue when they heard my setups using Marchand. Will be curious to hear your impressions on the sublime X-Over its less than 1/2 price of new Marchand

Like you, I have not dove deep into digital xpvers and tried to perfectly time align and create a ruler flat response and so on.  My ears possibly have heard the superior benefits of such a setup. The speakers are bougjt are active and internally Biwired so I don't know how useful delay would be in this case.  Ropm correction I get and have heard/ understand the importance of.  Once I get everything connected and I get a chance to listen, I will work on what I don't like from there.   I'm not goign to attack a problem that doesn't exist yet.  Joe, I'll let you know what I think.   I did contact Marchand and have a discussion with him as well.   Trying to save my pennies for school though.  This system was put together with trades and getting rid of the rest of what I had to sell.   I won't be throwing tons of money at this one.   I hope to be happy as is with subyel tweaks as needed.   

On 1/26/2020 at 9:33 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

RCF HD32A speakers and jbl srx728s subs.  The speakers sound incredible and I don't want to ruin that with the  wrong crossover.   Thanks for your input. 

12 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I'll get another Velodyne SMS1 unit for bass correction at a later time.   Problem solved.   

The self powered RCF with built-in DSP has everything EQ'd and time aligned above 45Hz, so with an SMS-1 (or sub amp w/DSP) set at 45Hz low pass, you would not need an additional external crossover.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Khornukopia said:

set at 45Hz low pass, you would not need an additional external crossover.

Yes, but I don't want speakers and sub overlapping.   My room HEAVILY emphasizes bass.  I didn't buy the speakers for bass reproduction. I have the firepower for that. I understand what you are saying however and you aren't wrong.   I COULD use it as is.   I wish the there was an 80 hz crossover option built into speakers.   I have heard these hd32a several times (outdoors) and I was thpirjgly impressed. I'm really hoping and thinking that these will be 396 killers for a fraction of the price.   

The Sublime is interesting. Looks like it is a 3-way crossover, but you need a 2-way, so how will the circuit boards and wiring be configured for your application?

Owner of the company will customize for whatever you want via internal cards.   He is making me an 80hz 24 dB slope 2 Way crossover.   Risk free.   Already ordered.  I'll be very frank if I don't like the sound of it and return it.   

Ok, now I have a clear picture your clever plan.

Crossover is necessary in my room. You heard my setup briefly with the sms1 in place. I had several 9 db+ dips on the sms1 from corner loading the subs (only option).  And I don't want weird phasing between mains and subs either. 4 18's Will take care of all dead spots and as much output as one can handle.   30 hz filter on the low end of the subs is plenty for 90%+ of music I listen to.   

Hi Gents, 

Just wanted to ask if anyone has the crossover settings for active digital crossovers settings for Klipsch La Scala II's , I have rencenty acquired a mini dsp 10x10hd and have connected all the drivers and all is good, Chris A has helped me get into this and so far I'm very happy with the potential I'm hearing 

I'm currently awaiting delivery of UMIK-1 and will then take measurements via REW and Chris A has very generously offered to help with all the settings however as I'm awaiting delivery I currently don't have any music and the weekend is here and need my tunes 

So Just wanted to ask if anyone has the crossover settings for the Klipsch La Scala IIs when using an active crossover setup 

Thanks in advance 

And thanks again to Chris A for his amazing help and knowledge, you help is extremely appreciated 

I don't know specifically what they would be if your were trying to replicate the passive's that came in the speakers, but to get some music playing, you should be safe to look at the crossover points that would have been listed for that speaker in the Klipsch specs and just set those points up in the mini dsp unit using one of the built in crossover types that are within the menu of the DSP and adjust the gain based on what you're hearing between the drivers.  It's not where you're going to end up, but it gets you music and you're not going to hurt anything by doing it. 

Just now, Kevin Klipsch said:

Much easier done with a xd 8080 from xillica.

I've already had a xilica. I referenced that in my post above. The xilica is also 3X the price of the K231.   I got the problem solved. Velodyne SMS1 for subs and I'll likely keep the speakers full range to avoid any issues with the xover.   There is a lead time with the K231 and that let me think if that would be exactly what I was looking for.   Fixed crossover point even with better SQ isn't real appealing to me.