Active Crossover Recommendations

MEH Synergy

8 minutes ago, JohnA said:

I favor Dbx gear.  Simple enough, reliable.  Unlike Berringer.  A 223 comes with XLRs and does what you initially wanted. 

After comparing a couple DBX Crossovers to Ashly in the past, I gave a notable knod in SQ to the Ashly.   That was many years ago.  Working well in the rig now until I decide to spring for that K231 unit (or perhaps something else). 

On 2/15/2020 at 10:38 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

Thanks @Rolox. That is what I wanted to hear. I placed an order but cancelled after hearing of the 3 week wait.  I'm using my ashly xr1001 for now with good results. I will likely buy the K231 once the wait period is gone and I move a few items.   

Just for the record, I was announced a two weeks backlog but it took a week for my crossover to be shipped. I do know however that Mark from Sublime Acoustic is getting more and more orders so... in any case, you should definitely give it a try - and (this is important) give it some time to break in, and have some juice flowing through it while while doing so (I turn the power amps off and push the preamp output close to max ). Some electronics are more sensitive to break-in than others; the K231 went from « huh ho » to « wow » (at the beginning the treble was so sharp I was thinking of sending it back but I’m glad I didn’t). 

20 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

After comparing a couple DBX Crossovers to Ashly in the past, I gave a notable knod in SQ to the Ashly.   That was many years ago.  Working well in the rig now until I decide to spring for that K231 unit (or perhaps something else). 

I used to have a TDM unit, they have a great reputation and I liked mine but the K231 is in a different league, transparent, open, and incredibly dynamic - and super silent. There’s no way back for me. It feels like I’m promoting too much a product - disclaimer: l’m not affiliated in any way with Sublime Acoustic, but when something is that good, you want others to experience it as well! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rolox said:

It feels like I’m promoting too much a product - disclaimer: l’m not affiliated in any way with Sublime Acoustic, but when something is that good, you want others to experience it as well! 

I appreciate your honest and sincere input. The unit attracted me for a reason. It appears that how it presents on paper that made it attractive and what it sounds like are matching nicely.  

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 10:34 AM, Westcoastdrums said:

Well, I am glad I ended up waiting on the Sublime Audio unit.   I ended up getting a deal on another xilica unit.   I'm gonna give it a proper go and hopefully @Chris A will be willing to help me out getting it dialed in properly.  

Funny, since I couldn't buy your amp I bought a new XP-8080 for th 904's.  I guess I had to buy something!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I can definitely say xilica (or something similar) is the way to go now.   Should have stopped being stubborn about going digital some time ago.   Working with Chris A now to tune my system and the results are sounding quite promising.   Wanted to give a big thanks to @Chris A for taking the time to help me out with prompt responses.  Really appreciate that.  Hell of a forum is all I have to say.