Power amp recommendations for my Jubes

BobRiff

My old Crown Power Line 1 finally bit the dust. 

I have a $400 budget to work with.

50-100 watt range with good sound and low noise (I detest hiss with no signal present!).

The Integra ADM 20.4 specs look good. Is anyone familiar with this model? 

Other brands to consider?

Thanks in advance.

So you're currently monoamping Jubilees with passive crossovers?  I gather that because you're implying that you were driving Jubilees with a stereo amplifier.

I'd recommend one of these: https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4-hd

[There is hiss that's only audible quiescently when within 2-3 feet of the K-402 mouth, depending of course on your gain structure.  All amplifiers have hiss...the question is whether you can hear it or not from your listening position.]

...And two of these: http://www.classicaudioparts.com/index.php/amplifiers/bang-olufsen-icepower50asx2-module.html

There is a box that can be bought to house each ICEpower module, if you don't have something that can house them already.  Delivery from China takes about 3 weeks:

http://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/asx50-sr.html

Chris

3 hours ago, Chris A said:

So you're currently monoamping Jubilees with passive crossovers?  I gather that because you're implying that you were driving Jubilees with a stereo amplifier.

I'd recommend one of these: https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4-hd

[There is hiss that's only audible quiescently when within 2-3 feet of the K-402 mouth, depending of course on your gain structure.  All amplifiers have hiss...the question is whether you can hear it or not from your listening position.]

...And two of these: http://www.classicaudioparts.com/index.php/amplifiers/bang-olufsen-icepower50asx2-module.html

There is a box that can be bought to house each ICEpower module, if you don't have something that can house them already.  Delivery from China takes about 3 weeks:

http://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/asx50-sr.html

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm using the passive crossovers that were installed in them when I was lucky enough to win these one-of-a-kind beautful speakers at the Klipsch Pilgramage in 2007! 

I'd like to keep the signal path "analog" if possible, but I don't know if there is a worthy amp in my price range that will fulfill my needs :).

• Like 1

There's a face that's not been around in a lifetime!!!

Welcome back.  You need to stay a bit more present....  your absence will make people think "Gee, if I get a pair of Jubilee's, I will disappear off the planet"

You had the 510 on top, correct??

For those who were not there, Klipsch had their gathering at HQ in Indy.  As I recall, Roy brought up two Jubilee's.  One with the K402 and the other with the K510.  He demonstrated them (single unit/mono) with the respective top horns so you could hear the difference between them.

They did a drawing for at least one of the pair, if not both.  Bob was the lucky draw for (if I recall) the Jubilee bass bin with the K510 (no mumps) on top.

His came configured with a passive as built and provided by Klipsch.  The 402 version might have also had a passive (don't recall)

39 minutes ago, Coytee said:

There's a face that's not been around in a lifetime!!!

Welcome back.  You need to stay a bit more present....  your absence will make people think "Gee, if I get a pair of Jubilee's, I will disappear off the planet"

You had the 510 on top, correct??

For those who were not there, Klipsch had their gathering at HQ in Indy.  As I recall, Roy brought up two Jubilee's.  One with the K402 and the other with the K510.  He demonstrated them (single unit/mono) with the respective top horns so you could hear the difference between them.

They did a drawing for at least one of the pair, if not both.  Bob was the lucky draw for (if I recall) the Jubilee bass bin with the K510 (no mumps) on top.

His came configured with a passive as built and provided by Klipsch.  The 402 version might have also had a passive (don't recall)

Hey Coytee,

Good to hear from you. Yeah, it's been a while since i posted, but I do drop in and poke around once in a while. 

I  have 510's on top, along with the same bread-boarded crossovers that the speakers came with. (I probably would have been in divorce court if I had chosen the "big" ones :)).

Hope to see you at a future Pligramage!

Schiit Vidar 100W brand new 699

Schiit Aegir 20W.  Highly rated by Stereophile.  I use a sub so I can get more volume than I need.  799.  I have this one and it is a great match for horns.

Adcom GFA555.  You can find upgraded ones for 4-500.  But are about 20 yr old.  Lots of power 250W I think.

Carver stuff.  Not expensive but pretty old. Lots of power.

Schiit has 5 yr warranty made in USA.  Used stuff in the 400 range is usually older.  the Pass Labs stuff would be my ultimate.  Much higher price and nameplate is way conservative on those. Those are 4000 used. 

Edited by DALEDEEE

9 hours ago, DALEDEEE said:

Schiit Vidar 100W brand new 699

Schiit Aegir 20W.  Highly rated by Stereophile.  I use a sub so I can get more volume than I need.  799.  I have this one and it is a great match for horns.

Adcom GFA555.  You can find upgraded ones for 4-500.  But are about 20 yr old.  Lots of power 250W I think.

Carver stuff.  Not expensive but pretty old. Lots of power.

Schiit has 5 yr warranty made in USA.  Used stuff in the 400 range is usually older.  the Pass Labs stuff would be my ultimate.  Much higher price and nameplate is way conservative on those. Those are 4000 used. 

Thanks Daledee,

I had never heard of Schitt, but the Vidar does look like a a possible contender. I'll definitely consider it.

• Like 1

I have a Crown D45 powering my MWM bass cabs with Lacala tops and it is virtually dead silent. It was modified by Mark Deneen years ago. I trade it out for a new Crown XLi800 (currently), and it is also quiet. It is still a class AB, while all the other XLi series are class D. I use one of Mark's tube preamps (Juicy Music Audio Merlin) with them. A new Crown  XLi800 is only $270.

I remember you winning those speakers... I don't even have my hat from that weekend, it got lost in the Philippines...

I am not sure how Class D amps would sound with Klipsch or similar speakers.  Probably good for bass amplification?  Lots of watts at a decent cost.  PS Audio makes a brand new one for $1K

BobRiff:  I see Vidar for sale used if that is what you want.  People always comment on Schiit being great sound for the money. 

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

I have a Crown D45 powering my MWM bass cabs with Lacala tops and it is virtually dead silent. It was modified by Mark Deneen years ago. I trade it out for a new Crown XLi800 (currently), and it is also quiet. It is still a class AB, while all the other XLi series are class D. I use one of Mark's tube preamps (Juicy Music Audio Merlin) with them. A new Crown  XLi800 is only $270.

I remember you winning those speakers... I don't even have my hat from that weekend, it got lost in the Philippines...

Thanks Marvel. I started out looking at the Crown series, but the ones I looked at were Class D and I thought they had a poor noise spec (90'ish db). I'll take another look at the XLi800.

I use a pair of Crown XLS1000s for sound reinforcement work.  As far as I can tell they are quiet with horn loaded mains.  Even the XLS1502 is in your price range.  

Where are you?  I also have a Crown CT-810 that is a beast and weighs ~50 pounds.  Pretty sure it is Class AB. 295 wpc.  105 dB S/N rating.  I'll let it go really cheap, but shipping might be $100. 

Thanks guys. These both look like great amps, but I'm going to stick with purchasing a new one vs. used. 

I do appreciate the offers though. 

BTW, I'm in Bay City, MI. (I just added that to my profile in case it comes up again). 🙂

9 hours ago, Marvel said:

The  XLi800 has received poor reviews, but I tried it anyway. @Dave A has one as well, and likes it.

I have two of them now and bi-amping and no complaints.  The next size up (xli1500) is on sale for $199 at Crown and Amazon right now. After using pro amps for a while and considering cost per watt and quality of output ratios I don't consider home owner gear. Now I have never had Macintosh and some people whom I respect really like those and other higher end home gear but they are way to pricey for my taste. The few that I have heard were on different speakers than I run and none of those setups impressed me. What part of those systems as an aggregate was the weak link I don't know.

Hi Dave,

I'd love to have a high-end amp too, but I totally agree with you 

I went ahead and ordered an XLi1500 last night. It'll be here on Friday, and I'll play with it over the weekend.  I have high hopes that it will work well for me. Worst case, I can send it back to Amazon and get my money back. 

Thanks to all who replied.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from a weekend in the country. Used the Crown 1500 with a pair of LS and loved every second of it. Got pretty loud at night by the bonfire. Drove all the critters out of the woods. I own both the XLi800 & XLi1500 and never an issue with either.

crown.thumb.jpg.9f0b10aa3c0d8e6e6c3ca0a1477cc0fc.jpg LS2.thumb.jpg.dc9cecd256aee02d418641c3f919c149.jpg

• Like 2