Question on OSB strength

tigerwoodKhorns

I need to create some platforms to walk on.  Width varies from 1' to 2' .  This is on top of 2 x 4 studs spaced at 24" OC. 

I have built some of the 2' wide platforms using three pieces of 2x3 on their side the entire length underneath and 1/2" 15/32 OSB.  So no span is greater than 7" unsupported.  They are plenty strong, but a lot of work. 

This all goes on top of 2x4' spaced at 24" OC.  Can I just use 23/32" OSB and omit the 2 x 3s? 

These will not be used much.  They are just needed for access to certain areas in my attic.  I am pounding nails by hand (too dust for a compressor anf nail gun up there) so I am trying to make this easier to build. 

26 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Screws and a portable drill are the way to go.

+1 ^

36 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Can I just use 23/32" OSB and omit the 2 x 3s?

It sounds stout enough. What I would think about is the load (weight). Is the load going to be dynamic (live load) / static and will the load be distributed or concentrated?   Here is the first thing I clicked on. I think that is has the info you need. I had to use a lot of that type of information when I designed my house. <edit> I think what you need is on page 12. 

56 minutes ago, Pete H said:

2' O.C. framing will be absolutely fine with 3/4 OSB.   My question would be, how far are you spanning with a 2x4?  Are they resting on other support, or spanning something.  

OK, so I am adding additional insulation to bring the attic up to R90, so 27" deep.  The problem is that once in, if I ever need to service anything, forget it, where do you step, you can't see the bottom of the trusses? 

So I added a horizontal 2 x 4 to each truss at 27" from the drywall (ceiling) and down the  middle of the new 2 x 4's I am putting these platforms.  These are all done, but I have some areas where I have the 2 x 4's cantilevered 24" off the side, and other areas where I have small areas where I need to step around HVAC equipment.  So I want to add more platforms.  

So the worst case scenario is 3/4" OSB 12" wide on top of 2 x 4's 24" OC.  I use these for me and my tools when working up there. 

I just had solar power added and the guys working in the attic loved what I had already done.  Pretty easy (relatively speaking) to get around in there now. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I'd need a pilot hole, I am drilling pilot holes anyway, so just using nails. 

If not using screws the pilot hole is best for nails, OSB is tough to nail in without the hole. If you decide to not use the pilot hole use safety glasses, OSB is so hard nails tend to fly back out.

10 minutes ago, dtel said:

If not using screws the pilot hole is best for nails, OSB is tough to nail in without the hole. If you decide to not use the pilot hole use safety glasses, OSB is so hard nails tend to fly back out.

Hmmm.  I was using pilot holes for the 2 x 4s, not the OSB.  It is hard to nail in, but not that bad with the smaller nails.  If I do not use the wood, I will use larger nails and drill pilot holes, or maybe use a punch to start them. 

I just remember that I have shelves in another attic that are OSB and not supported.  I will need to check the thickness of these. 

• Moderators

It really is hard to nail in, I have shot more than a few nails across the room. 

People who never used it think OSB is somewhat like particle board but it's not even close, much tougher better glue and don't fall apart with humidity. Not my favorite wood but it's really tough, perfect for what your going to use it for.

12 hours ago, dtel said:

It really is hard to nail in, I have shot more than a few nails across the room. 

People who never used it think OSB is somewhat like particle board but it's not even close, much tougher better glue and don't fall apart with humidity. Not my favorite wood but it's really tough, perfect for what your going to use it for.

When I remodeled my garage I used OSB for the ceiling and all the walls.   I'll never have to mess with it again.  Note, never use water based primer!

You guys are cracking me up.  This is a way to access an area and not compress insulation, it's not a freaking piano.  OSB is a structural panel, it's not particle board and is used as the sub floor, roof decking and exterior sheeting on the overwhelming majority of residential dwellings in this country.  Screws, nails, pre drilling, T&G or not, really?  :D  If you don't go through the ceiling and can get to and work on your equipment on the rare occasions that it's required, that's all you need.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Note, never use water based primer!

What happens ?

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

When I remodeled my garage I used OSB for the ceiling and all the walls.

Downstairs is OSB, only because I hate drywall, and we suck at floating, another reason for the textured walls.

45 minutes ago, Pete H said:

You guys are cracking me up.  This is a way to access an area and not compress insulation, it's not a freaking piano.  OSB is a structural panel, it's not particle board and is used as the sub floor, roof decking and exterior sheeting on the overwhelming majority of residential dwellings in this country.  Screws, nails, pre drilling, T&G or not, really?  :D  If you don't go through the ceiling and can get to and work on your equipment on the rare occasions that it's required, that's all you need.  

I do need the pilot holes.  Weird angles makes it hard to drive a long nail without them.  They tend to bend if I cannot get a good strike. 

I have a framing nail gun, but I don't want my small compressor up there with all of that dust. 

2 hours ago, Pete H said:

You know any time we see a thread about building we all act like Tim the Toolman Taylor 😀

He should use the Binford 8100 air nailer!

• Haha 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

It swells like crazy.  You have to use oil base primer.

I had no idea

We were told drywall joint compound would stick and never come off. I did a piece of a board and tried it, about a month later tried knocking it off with a hammer, I couldn't hurt it, so we did all the walls to get  texture.