Any Parasound user's

The Dude

Does anyone have experience with Parasounds HCA-1206 or HCA-806? They both are 6 channel amps, with what I assume different power ratings. I run an active bi amped system up front on my L/C/R and would like to save some rack space by going with a 6 channel amp. I've currently got 2 Crown D45s and a single Parasound HCA-750A and always wanted to up grade to 3 Parasound HCA-750s. But didn't care to take up that much rack space. I always consider (and still do) something older from McIntosh such as the 7106, but there is currently a Parasound HCA-806 on the bay. I thought this might suffice for now, but want make sure they sound just as good as the 750s. I assume they would since they seem to be from the same series, but would like to double check. Also, anyone know if these have any serious icky thump when being powered on, my HCA750 doesn't seem to.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I had an HCA-1203 and a 1000A.  I loved the sound.  The 1203 needed the speaker protection relays replaced twice in about 5 years for poor connection (no or intermittent output) and static/crackling sounds.  Sold them both after the second replacement.  Surely they have that issue solved. 

I have a Parasound A23 which appears to have very similar design to the HCA 1206 (JFET, MOSFET, toroidial power supply with reasonable capacitor filter supply).  No thump, no noise.  Very nice 2 channel driving Martin Logan panels in HT setup or smaller ML bookshelves in a small room 2 channel setup.

The seller of the A23 had also had an HCA (I don't recall the model), but he wasn't parting with it.  He also had Hypex Ncore and a nice recording studio. Not sure if that's a recommendation, but he was keeping the HCA.  My guess, is that it was his backup in case he had a major failure of some type.  As far as I know he still has the HCA as none have come up on local used market.

I had a 1205a, certainly one of the best amps I owned. It was almost magic how after about about 15 or 20 minutes it transformed from a good solid amp to a truly special amp. I used to demonstrate the transformation to friends and every single person could pinpoint the change. It wasn't loudness, just a clarity and dynamics blooming.  I bought it new, and sold it for more than I paid a few years later, still a mistake !

I've had a few of the HCA-1000's, the 2200 MK-II, a 2205 and the 3500 all great amplifiers I feel they are quite comparable to Sunfire amps I ultimately stuck with Sunfire only because I know I guy that works on them right down the road from me.  

Well I figured I would offer him $350 including shipping and if accepted, I'm not out that much. Sure enough it was accepted and should be here Monday. Here is my concern at this point (I know some said that there was no icky thump), but that may be lack there of if connected to the 12volt trigger on the amp itself or turned on/off as one normally would. But I am using a Niles 12volt trigger which could have been the cause to an icky thump on some other amps. Unfortunately this one isnt the 806a which would have built in 12 volt trigger and soft start.

I've had the Parasound in my system for a couple days now. So far so good, no pops or thumps, very smooth turn on and off. Plus it sounds good, needless to say, I am happy with this amp. Using it to actively bi amp my L/C/R.