Blue Ray Rental Alternatives

Foxman

I have been a Netflix customer for years and for the past several have settled for compressed streaming, but want to get back to a higher quality. So, I have been thinking of signing back up for Netflix's Blue Ray disk option and was curious if there are Blue Ray and or UHD rental alternatives that anyone uses or is familiar with. I am also an Amazon Prime customer, though not really for the movies, more for the free shipping since I purchase a high volume of books. (School related mostly.)

There are so many great high quality recordings with all kinds of LFE and or 4K content that I simply cannot, and do not desire to spend the money to own them. Thoughts.

• Moderators

I have streamed 4K but for some reason the sound on movies streamed do not seem to match that of a disc. To me anyway, I wish they still have video stores, never thought I would say that.

RedBox is about all that's left here. 

We don't buy movies so i'm not willing to do that, only concert DVD's or BR's and have not done that in a while. I can watch concert disc's many times but not so much for movies. 

51 minutes ago, dtel said:

I wish they still have video stores, never thought I would say that.

Agree.

For me and my limited Internet access streaming is not an option. That leaves buying (have many but don't do it a lot) and Redbox. Neither is really ideal, but since Redbox is close not really too bad

42 minutes ago, Davis said:

The rental companies as well as streaming services typically do not include the DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby Atmos tracks

I've noticed Redbox recently added the option for HDR. Also, a few years back they often had "rental" only discs that did not have all the extra bonus features. They were only silver, never any color printed on the DVD/BR. That seems to have changed. For at least the past two years every disc I've rented was the full blown commercial one you would buy. All bonus features and all audio formats. I can recall several with Atmos wiz-bang teaser at the start along with the previews.

• Like 2

It would be great if there were a service geared toward to HT enthusiast that places a premium on audio and video quality. It sounds like Redbox is approaching that even if slowly, I went and signed up and noticed their UHD options. I read many forums that list these fantastic disks for audio or video and I am thinking, man I would love to watch that.... but I am like many others, I am probably only watching a time or two. Not nearly enough to justify $20–30 bucks to own.

The crazy thing with Redbox is I can rent a blu ray disc at one for their kiosks for $2, yet to stream the same (using my bandwidth to boot) is $4. They know exactly what they are doing, charging double for convenience. I have done both but mostly pick up a disc when out and about. There are two kiosks < a mile from my house. 

And the AV quality is better utilizing the physical disc imo. 

Don't sleep on your local library . You can go there or online and request movies before they are released . An example when the new season of Star Trek Discovery came out it took me 10 days to get it , all of it . And I forgot to request it until the day it was released .

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, sunburnwilly said:

Don't sleep on your local library . 

Our local library has a collection, mostly dvds, but they do get new movies, documentaries, and some blue rays too. I hit em every now and then. Price is awesome (zero) and its a 7 day borrow period.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

If you request a video,  blu or dvd it draws from all the libraries . In my case as it should be in yours statewide .

That's cool but I don't want to trouble them to do so. I take what they offer @ two locations. Books yes, I request but not movies. Between Redbox, my personal collection, cable HBO & Showtime, and the library I spend too much time on my azz viewing as it is.

On 1/29/2020 at 5:11 PM, polizzio said:
On 1/29/2020 at 2:51 PM, sunburnwilly said:

If you request a video,  blu or dvd it draws from all the libraries . In my case as it should be in yours statewide .

That's cool but I don't want to trouble them to do so.

You do know that's their job and without people troubling them to do so ; don't need them anymore .

I was looking forward to seeing the new flick Parasite on new release Tuesday . Well Redbox is not carrying and it's not listed as coming . So Thursday is my library day and I put in a reserve/request for the movie . The librarian got a kick out of telling me I was #113 on the waiting list and was still talking about it as I was walking away . 

• Like 1

There is a thread on AVS, where people are buying and selling their own 4k and blue ray discs. Perhaps, you will find ones you seek on the cheap and if and when you are done with them,  flip em.. some are buying the 4k disc and selling off the blue rays as well.  I also see a few wanting to do trades, discs for discs.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/213-physical-media-items-movies-etc/  

• Like 1

Also many good buys off ebay. Cds and blue rays from resellers like goodwill stores from all around the US, and de-clutter stores. I routinely purchase cds for < $5, blurays for < $7 delivered to my door. My last cd, St Germain Tourist cost me $3.76 delivered. Like new cond.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2020 at 2:43 PM, Foxman said:

I have been a Netflix customer for years and for the past several have settled for compressed streaming, but want to get back to a higher quality. So, I have been thinking of signing back up for Netflix's Blue Ray disk option and was curious if there are Blue Ray and or UHD rental alternatives that anyone uses or is familiar with. I am also an Amazon Prime customer, though not really for the movies, more for the free shipping since I purchase a high volume of books. (School related mostly.)

There are so many great high quality recordings with all kinds of LFE and or 4K content that I simply cannot, and do not desire to spend the money to own them. Thoughts.

Your local adult store..

• 2 weeks later...