KLF 30 black satin finish, is it vinyl or painted veneer?

Normo

3 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Yes. Someone on the forum that i can't currently recall has done it. I just had them both in front me the other day and it's true. The only difference is the C7 is slightly taller because it has full wood trim at the bottom whereas the kv4, the horn sits flush with the bottom of the cabinet.  It's the same horn but one is 1 3/8 thread and the other is bolt on. 

Not sure, both my KLF-C7 and my spare K-64-KN are threaded onto the driver phase plug assembly. I have not owned a KV-4 yet but I am on the hunt. Doesn't really matter how the horn is attached to the driver as long as the horn piece is the same size, it would work.

1 minute ago, crunchman12001 said:

I have not seen the special edition matte Black in person so I cannot recommend how to finish them. You could however use something like Duratex with a smooth roller for a matte black, semi textured look.

Ohhh. Why didn't i think of that?  Duratex can be pricey, but i just did a search and came across this http://coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2011/03/speaker-build-report.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crunchman12001 said:

Not sure, both my KLF-C7 and my spare K-64-KN are threaded onto the driver phase plug assembly. I have not owned a KV-4 yet but I am on the hunt. Doesn't really matter how the horn is attached to the driver as long as the horn piece is the same size, it would work.

Your C7 is screw on horn?  The KLF-20 and 30 horn is screw on which is the same that the kv4 uses, but the KLF-10 and C7 should be bolt on, at least mine are.  

3 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Ohhh. Why didn't i think of that?  Duratex can be pricey, but i just did a search and came across this http://coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2011/03/speaker-build-report.html

Duratex is not to bad... I bought a quart for my Dayton Audio flat pack that I used with the Ultimax UM 18-22. 

Here is a link.

https://www.parts-express.com/acry-tech-duratex-black-1-quart-roller-grade-cabinet-texture-coating-kit-with-textured-3-r--260-111

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Your C7 is screw on horn?  The KLF-20 and 30 horn is screw on which is the same that the kv4 uses, but the KLF-10 and C7 should be bolt on, at least mine are.  

Now that you mention it, maybe the C7 tweeter was a bolt on like the K-79-K's on the KLF- 20's & Chorus II's. It has been awhile since I swapped the diaphragm for the Crites Titanium. The KLF 20 midrange was indeed a screw on though. I think the confusion is the KLF 20 / 30 midrange horn is the same as the C7 and KV4 tweeter horn? (plastic horn piece only, different drivers)

• Like 1

Now that you mention it, maybe the C7 tweeter was a bolt on like the K-79-K's on the KLF- 20's & Chorus II's. It has been awhile since I swapped the diaphragm for the Crites Titanium. The KLF 20 midrange was indeed a screw on though. I think the confusion is the KLF 20 / 30 midrange horn is the same as the C7 and KV4 tweeter horn? (plastic horn piece only, different drivers)

Correct. The mid horn on the 20/30 is same as the tweeter in the c7 and kv4 and i want to say cf1 and cf2 tweeter AND the little known KT LCR other than some being bolt on and some being screw on. Add the forte III mid horn to that list as well ezcpet it has the new mumps. I took one out of my forte III and put it into the kv4

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Correct. The mid horn on the 20/30 is same as the tweeter in the c7 and kv4 and i want to say cf1 and cf2 tweeter AND the little known KT LCR other than some being bolt on and some being screw on. Add the forte III mid horn to that list as well ezcpet it has the new mumps. I took one out of my forte III and put it into the kv4

Thanks for the information. Keep me posted on your CF-3 refurb. Feel free to contact me if needed.

Take care.

• Thanks 1

Here is the product you are looking for. It will bring your Klipsch black lacquer speakers to within 5% sheen of the original. 

DAL1608 on the back label. I buy mine at O'reilly Auto.

lacquer.png.0b18ed9839e3b0033c724e8a2a488db1.png
Since this is in a can, can it just be sprayed over the original black satin or do you still have to prep and remove the old paint and finish?

As in all paint jobs, prep work is more important than the actual painting. Specifically to your question no removal required. 3 cans per pair. 3 Ultra light coats each. Leave the last 5% in the can to avoid any potential low pressure spitting. Above 60 degrees less than 70% humidity.

Here is a handy pdf I found for you.

application-tips.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maximus89 said:

3 cans for a pair as in 2 speakers

The former, not the latter. $21 plus tax.

BTW I would also recommend to anyone they should never use any rattle can paint for painting wood unless it is labeled as lacquer. In this case it just happens that the DAL1608 is the correct sheen + 5%

1 hour ago, crunchman12001 said:

I use Behlen nitrocellulose lacquer, great stuff.

2 cans of each is plenty for 3 coats of Black and clear on a pair of KLF-20's.

Buy it here.....

https://www.shellac.net/

I have used Behlen lacquer toner and clear with great success refurbishing an antique mahagony desk/table. I did not know they would ship it, or how close the sheen in the Behlen product would be to the original used at the Klipsch factory. Would you expand on your knowledge here please. 

Edit: just checked the link you gave and with shipping the items and quantity you suggested comes to $56.99 for me. I guess I would need to pre-order some at Woodcraft

1 minute ago, 314carpenter said:

I have used Behlen lacquer toner and clear with great success refurbishing an antique mahagony desk/table. II did not know they would ship it, or what sheen in the Behlen product would be closest to the original used at the Klipsch factory. Would you expand on your knowledge here please.

Hey 314carpenter,

Before I refurbed my first set of KLF-20's, I researched online for the best rattle can Lacquer finishes. Nitrocellulose Lacquer kept popping up. Behlen and Mohawk (same company / products with different part #'s) were regarded as the best from the reviews I saw.

I think I saw on here somewhere the % of sheen Klipsch used but it basically boiled down to a "Satin" finish IMO. At this point in the vintage KLF line and others, nobody can say the Behlen Satin finish seems to be this percent of sheen shinier or duller since over time the sheen fades and we don't have a factory fresh KLF to compare it to. I use the Satin Black Behlen followed up with the Clear Satin Lacquer to help protect the Black Satin paint finish.

As seen from my KLF refurb pics above, the Satin sheen is nice without being overly glossy and it looks very close to the original finishes I have seen online for the KLF's. 

I also use the Clear Satin Lacquer on the stained speaker refurbs I do to protect the stain and soften the gloss left after staining.

I am not saying the Dupli-Color paint is the wrong product to use as I have never tried it but the online reviews I have seen say Nitrocellulose is the superior Lacquer product.

Take care.

33 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

I have used Behlen lacquer toner and clear with great success refurbishing an antique mahagony desk/table. I did not know they would ship it, or how close the sheen in the Behlen product would be to the original used at the Klipsch factory. Would you expand on your knowledge here please. 

Edit: just checked the link you gave and with shipping the items and quantity you suggested comes to $56.99 for me. I guess I would need to pre-order some at Woodcraft

Yes, that sounds about right on cost.

It is sold at many stores, Shellac.net is cheapest at $7.69 a can but they hammer you $19 for shipping on 4 cans. I can get away with one can of each for a set of KLF-20's but I always order two of each so my project does not come to a stand still in case I need one more coat...