weird occurrence listening to 2 channel

joessportster

Listening to some Classical this evening was playing things admittedly to loud, Left speaker started breaking up (Only the Left side). Then the Left FR driver started playing much lower all together.  I went to use jumpers and connect a spare driver to see if it was the driver acting up. There was a slight pop noise and the driver came back to full volume.  I cant believe it was the amp or pre seems that would affect both sides and further I have never had an amp or pre go into overload on 1 channel its always both channels.

I am thinking the driver coil must have go stuck and the pop noise was it releasing from ?

Anyone ever have something like this happen ?

• Like 1

I like Randy's comments.  They add a third factor to the obvious.

Sometimes a loose connection or a corroded screw down terminal can work for a while and then partially connect.  Maybe in your efforts to connect another driver you re-established a better connection in a wobbly situation.  Therefore you should hunt down something loose. (This #3.)  Even an RCA connector or tube might be involved. You  efforts could well have jostled something, even the wiper of a switch or pot.

Number 2 is that the amp went into a partial shut down although I've only heard of a full shut down.  Does your power amp have any protection circuitry?

Number 1 is a partial failure of a voice coil.  They can melt and warp and jam the motion which will reduce sound level. It is conceivable that the mechanical jam cleared a bit.   Think you should try moving the diaphragm with spread  fingers, gently.  You might feel some gritty binding.

WMcD

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, WMcD said:

Sometimes a loose connection or a corroded screw down terminal can work for a while and then partially connect.

I had that happen before, a midrange horn got scratchy and then within a few minutes cut down to about 30% output. Cleaned the connection to the little tab and wire connector then it worked fine, they looked perfectly clean and was very tight, looked impossible to not make a connection but it did.

I felt very lucky

• Like 1

Thanks Gents:  No Overload on the amp (point to point wired SET) only Protection is fuse. Same with Pre.  The Marchand Crossover does not speak of overload protection either.  Im leaning on the voice coil side of things or DAC.  I did not get to connect the jumpers so did not get to mess with the wires to cause a connection to make better contact. I was just about to do that when the pop happened and sound level came back. going to move stuff around and see not going to play that loud again 😂

11 hours ago, kevinmi said:

I had a power tube cause such an incident when there wasn't a good connection at the pins. A little re-tension of the socket cured the problem. 

I would check this for sure. Had the same issue with poor tube pin to socket connection. Besides retensioning the sockets, you can use Caig Deoxit Pro Gold on the pins or Stabilant 22, a similar product.

15 hours ago, Marvel said:

I would check this for sure. Had the same issue with poor tube pin to socket connection. Besides retensioning the sockets, you can use Caig Deoxit Pro Gold on the pins or Stabilant 22, a similar product.

I use Deoxit products on all my tubes also.

If the driver "was playing lower all together" means the full range tonal balance was still intact, then I'd guess it would exclude the driver itself and concentrate upstream.  A sticking or overheated voice coil would not "pop" and return to normal operation in my experience.  In fact, the "pop" in and of itself would lead me to investigate electronics, not the driver.

If the power supplies in the electronics are common to both channels in each unit, then it would definitely be a gain stage or leveling control somewhere, since only one channel was affected.  That's the methodology I'd use to investigate.

1 hour ago, glens said:

If the power supplies in the electronics are common to both channels in each unit, then it would definitely be a gain stage or leveling control somewhere, since only one channel was affected. 

He has Cary CAD 45SE monoblocks.