Room modes: Horn loaded vs direct radiator subwoofer

Tizman

13 minutes ago, Tizman said:

On ChrisA’s suggestion, I read up on DBAs.  My concern with them, based on my reading, is that there will be so much stuff in the room that will interfere with the operation of a DBA that it may not work properly. 

I've been aware of DBAs since I read the same AVS Forum posting that Chris mentioned. I've never seen or heard one in action. Years ago someone, I think it might have been Threshold, came up with an active bass absorption system that actually measured the bass at its (corner) location and produced an opposite-polarity signal from what might have been a conventional driver -- I never saw or heard one of those, either. Given that neither technique has ever become a mainstream practice, they may be some of those ideas that look good in theory but don't work so well in practice.

On 2/1/2020 at 2:12 PM, Chris A said:

To not have deep bass nulls in the room requires a double bass array.  To minimize the nulls requires at least two subwoofers (three are better).  [I use three subwoofers (effectively) in my room, two on the opposite front corners of the room, and one in the center (actually it's the K-402-MEH, but it has -3 dB response at 16 Hz).]

Chris uses 3 subs in his setup, and says that this minimizes nulls.  While this may not get the job done entirely, perhaps this combined with aggressive bass trapping may be the best practical solution.  

5 hours ago, Edgar said:

I've been aware of DBAs since I read the same AVS Forum posting that Chris mentioned. I've never seen or heard one in action.

Has anyone successfully applied the DBA setup?  It would appear, based on Chris's quote above, that he does not use DBA in his setup.  If I am reading Chris's quote correctly, he is using the equivalent of three subs along the front wall and not a DBA, and that this is sufficient for his setup.    

My listening room would not accommodate a DBA.  That would really require a dedicated HT room that's entirely rectangular in shape and has doors that close off the room entirely.  That's not my listening room.  Also, the rear wall needs to be able to take a subwoofer array that is a direct copy of what's on the front wall and includes at least four subwoofers that can be arrayed across the rear wall.  That's not my listening room, either.  So I opted for the three subwoofer approach. 

Chris