New Chorus II Project w/ CF-4 Horn

jjptkd

• 8 months later...
On 7/4/2020 at 21:02, jjptkd said:

Questi sono completi e suonano molto, molto belli! Avendo ancora alcuni problemi con la copertura della griglia, dovrai lavorarci sopra per farli sedere bene.

20200406_094943 (600 x 800) .jpg

Of all the horns you've tried on your Chorus II with your A-55G drivers, which one do you like best? What are the differences you've found between this horn, forte III horn, and chorus II stock horn?

9 hours ago, Alex Defender said:

Of all the horns you've tried on your Chorus II with your A-55G drivers, which one do you like best? What are the differences you've found between this horn, forte III horn, and chorus II stock horn?

This set up right here is easily the best sounding pair of speakers I've ever owned especially now that I have upgraded the tweeters with the de-120's.

Honestly the step up from the stock style threaded horn to the CF-4 horn wasn't as big of an improvement as swapping the drivers were or as big of a difference as between the Chorus 1 horn and the CF-4 horn. It was a slight improvement but not sure worth the effort and destruction of the cabinet in that way to recommend anyone else take that plunge.

My advice would be to get a set of stock k-61 style horns with the threaded inserts and attach the A55-g-- that is a simple bolt on swap that is easily reversible and a very nice upgrade.

• Like 1

with the CF3/4 horn the option to go two way is available provided you use a wide band driver and a two way network. one could modify a CF3/4 network.

further if you wanted to upgrade this as a three way then the K79 tweeter horn could be replaced with a KLF20/30 mid horn (it is also a wide band horn) that way your mid and tweeter diaphragms would be in a much better alignment with each other. I should add that the KLF20/30 mid horn will have a dispersion pattern much more like the CF3/4 horn does which will aid greatly in integration of the two horn at crossover compared to the much smalerl K79 horn lens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, moray james said:

with the CF3/4 horn the option to go two way is available provided you use a wide band driver and a two way network. one could modify a CF3/4 network.

further if you wanted to upgrade this as a three way then the K79 tweeter horn could be replaced with a KLF20/30 mid horn (it is also a wide band horn) that way your mid and tweeter diaphragms would be in a much better alignment with each other.

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

This set up right here is easily the best sounding pair of speakers I've ever owned especially now that I have upgraded the tweeters with the de-120's.

Honestly the step up from the stock style threaded horn to the CF-4 horn wasn't as big of an improvement as swapping the drivers were or as big of a difference as between the Chorus 1 horn and the CF-4 horn. It was a slight improvement but not sure worth the effort and destruction of the cabinet in that way to recommend anyone else take that plunge.

My advice would be to get a set of stock k-61 style horns with the threaded inserts and attach the A55-g-- that is a simple bolt on swap that is easily reversible and a very nice upgrade.

What do you think about using the A55-G with the Crites G700 midrange horn mounted on a Chrous 2? Any thoughts?

Edited by Alex Defender

17 minutes ago, Alex Defender said:

What do you think about using the A55-G with the Crites G700 midrange horn mounted on a Chrous 2? Any thoughts?

I have not used either so I cannot comment on them. I would be inclined to go the two way direction as Bob Crites did with the Cornscala "D" since I like a two way generally better than a three way. Be careful with a CF3/4 horn with a large driver on it, install a driver shelf or hangar as the horn has very tin walls and can crack if shipped or handled hard. Even the KLF20/30 mid  horn will crack if dropped.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 7:47 AM, Alex Defender said:

If you're looking for that "bigger" sound of the larger Heritage speakers you need a bigger horn. The Tractrix horn also has a more "open" sound than the smaller exponential horns. The stock Chorus II style horn is larger than the G700 (600hz vs 700hz) and Tractrix so the G700 horn would be a step down in my opinion.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

If you're looking for that "bigger" sound of the larger Heritage speakers you need a bigger horn. The Tractrix horn also has a more "open" sound than the smaller exponential horns. The stock Chorus II style horn is larger than the G700 (600hz vs 700hz) and Tractrix so the G700 horn would be a step down in my opinion.  

I get it. Rather, what do you think about using the A55-G driver with Crites C600 midrange horn always mounted on a Chrous 2?

Thanks

10 hours ago, Alex Defender said:

I get it. Rather, what do you think about using the A55-G driver with Crites C600 midrange horn always mounted on a Chrous 2?

Thanks

For what purpose? The K-61 midrange horn on the Chorus II is already a step or two above the K600 horn in performance. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 7:06 AM, jjptkd said:

How about the k-55v or k-55m? I have both of those on hand and the thread on adapters for the k-61 horn. Wasn’t sure if there is a crossover change necessary to use these.. on a side note I purchased another pair of chorus ii horns and drivers to install in a pair of Cornwall 1s but haven’t decided whether to go this route or go 2 way with them. 

Thanks,

Mark

8 hours ago, Madman1 said:

How about the k-55v or k-55m? 

Thanks,

Mark

I'm not sure about the 55m's but the push pin style (single phase plug) 55v's have been noted as having a limited response above 5khz which could leave a noticeable gap until the tweeter kicks in at 7khz

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I'm not sure about the 55m's but the push pin style (single phase plug) 55v's have been noted as having a limited response above 5khz which could leave a noticeable gap until the tweeter kicks in at 7khz

Ok, I actually have soldered lug k55v’s.

On 1/2/2021 at 7:08 AM, dmckean44 said:

For what purpose? The K-61 midrange horn on the Chorus II is already a step or two above the K600 horn in performance. 

I'd like to try the A55-G with a K600 horn... croossed at 600Hz to 6000Hz.

Can I know why do you consider the K-61 horn one or two step above the K600?

The mid horn used in the Chorus 2 is a much more modern horn design compared to a K600/601 (metal and resin) horn(s) it is a hybrid conical throat then a Tractrix flare and it is a larger horn which means it can hold it's polar response down to a lower frequency resulting in improved image, it is the horn which Klipsch designed to replace the K601 after they dropped the Cornwall and replaced it with the Chorus (Chorus used the K601 I think) and the Chorus 2 upgraded to the newer improved horn. Remember the K600/601 is a very old horn design.The mid horn from the KLF20/30 is an even better horn in that it is capable of much wider response it can be used up to 20KHz and it is also much shorter which means you can better align with your woofer and that's a big deal. I hope this helps.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, moray james said:

The mid horn used in the Chorus 2 is a much more modern horn design compared to a K600/601 (metal and resin) horn(s) it is a hybrid conical throat then a Tractrix flare and it is a larger horn which means it can hold it's polar response down to a lower frequency resulting in improved image, it is the horn which Klipsch designed to replace the K601 after they dropped the Cornwall and replaced it with the Chorus (Chorus used the K601 I think) and the Chorus 2 upgraded to the newer improved horn. Remember the K600/601 is a very old horn design.The mid horn from the KLF20/30 is and even better horn in that it is capable of much wider response it can be used up to 20KHz and it is also much shorter which means you can better align with your woofer and that's a big deal. I hope this helps.

I get it, what is the cutoff frequency of the K-61 horn?

1 hour ago, Alex Defender said:

I get it, what is the cutoff frequency of the K-61 horn?

I do not know the Fc of the K61 horn but it is lower than a K600/601 due to it's larger mouth size and length. Don't forget many horns are used to below their cut off, consider the K700/701 has been used by Klipsch with a 650 Hz crossover and it is a much smaller horn. Remember also that for best performance the rule of thumb is to cross over an octave above Fc.

• Like 1