New Chorus II Project w/ CF-4 Horn

jjptkd

13 minutes ago, moray james said:

I do not know the Fc of the K61 horn but it is lower than a K600/601 due to it's larger mouth size and length. Don't forget many horns are used to below their cut off, consider the K700/701 has been used by Klipsch with a 650 Hz crossover and it is a much smaller horn. Remember also that for best performance the rule of thumb is to cross over an octave above Fc.

Thank you, I suspected that I have to cross around 200Hz above horn Fc to get best performance, I suppose because to avoid getting outside a nasal sound from the horn (?).

Edited by Alex Defender

4 minutes ago, Alex Defender said:

Thank you, I suspected that I have to cross around 200Hz above horn Fc to get best performance, I suppose because to avoid getting outside a nasal sound from the horn (?).

it all depends which mid driver it is that you will use ---

2 minutes ago, Alex Defender said:

Thank you, I suspected that I have to cross 100-200Hz above Horn Fc to get best performance, I suppose because to avoid getting outside a nasal sound from the horn (?).

lets say for argument sake that the Fc of the k-61 horn is 500Hz.. One octave above that would be 1000Hz.. This horn is regularly used at 650 - 750Hz. by Klipsch and those speakers are all very well regarded. You need to test for yourself to determine what works best.

Another example, the horn used in the CF3/4 loudspeaker systems is larger than the K-61 horn and with a lower cutoff and yet it is used well above a KHz. in those loudspeakers. There is not a hard and fast rule. I am no longer sure just what your goal here is. What are you considering? What is it you are attempting to achieve?

15 hours ago, Alex Defender said:

I'd like to cross the A55-G at 6-700 Hz, so I'm thinking to use a horn which have a Fc of 450Hz, is a Fostex H400.

https://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/woodhorn.pdf

What do you think? Thanks

Well I think that right now you don't have much experience. A k700 works well at those crossover frequencies look at the Heresy look at the Forte for prime examples of this. I think you need to buy some horns and experiment and make as many mistakes as possible as you will learn the most from your failures. Before you start you need to have very specific goals. I might ask why you want to use a larger mid horn the size of a LaScala horn? Have you considered how to re balance that horn into your speaker system You will need to learn a lot about crossovers to make this work as you will not be making such changes without also having to change your networks.

You will also have to learn how to tell if driver A is a working match to horn A because swapping out drivers on horns is not much better than a crap shoot. Same goes for swapping out horns on drivers.

Here is what I think. I think you should find the speaker system that is your dream speaker system or as close to that as you can and buy that speaker new or uses does not matter get it live with it learn it inside put position it so you achieve your dream system in your room. Then you can start to play with a second set of test speaker to see if you can make improvements on your reference sound. Always keep your reference speakers they are and will be your anchor to reality the best you were able to achieve. If you can better those then then you will have achieved something. When your experimental speaker betters your reference speaker in every way then you will have built a new reference loudspeaker, At that point get to know your new reference inside and out then start the process all over again and just keep doing that. That is the audio journey, there is no final destination only a journey forward into more improvements and refinements, if you stall up and cannot hear any improvements then it is time to work on your room so you can get back to building a better loudspeaker. It never stops. I started when I was twelve years old I am sixty five now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moray james said:

Here is what I think. I think you shouf find the speaker sustem that is yur dream speaker system or as close to that as you can and buy that speaker new uses does not matter get it live with it learn it inside put position it so you achieve your dream system in your room. Then you can start to play with a second set of test speakerd to see if you can make improvements on your reference sound. Always keep your reference speakers they are and will be your anchor to reality the best you were able to achieve. If you can better those then then you will have achieves something. When your experimental speaker betters your reference speaker in every way then you will have built a new reference loudspeaker, At that point get to know your new reference inside and out then start the process all over again and just keep doing that. That is the audio journey, there is no final destination only a journey forward into more improvements and refinements, if you stall up and cannot hear any improvements then it is time to work on your room so you can get back to building a better loudspeaker. It never stops. I started when I was twelve years old I am sixty five now.

This is exactly what I have done over the past 15 years or so with the Chorus II being my point of reference as much as I love the Chorus II there are things about them that kind of drove me crazy mainly the shoutyness of the mid horn at times the A55-g clears that up and really makes a great speaker significantly better in my opinion smoother and more detailed yet still has a great midrange doesnt lose anything there if you can find a pair of threaded insert k-61's they drop right in making it an easy and reversible swap.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

This is exactly what I have done over the past 15 years or so with the Chorus II being my point of reference as much as I love the Chorus II there are things about them that kind of drove me crazy mainly the shoutyness of the mid horn at times the A55-g clears that up and really makes a great speaker significantly better in my opinion smoother and more detailed yet still has a great midrange doesnt lose anything there if you can find a pair of threaded insert k-61's they drop right in making it an easy and reversible swap.

Were the threaded horns from the kp-301?

Are you using the bolt on adapter?