KLF-20 with DaveA's LMAHL Tweeters

slovell

Anybody using these tweeters with the KLF-20? My KLF's have Crites titanium diaphragms in the K-79-K's presently. I also have the Klipsch titanium mids and Crites crossovers with the bandpass addition for the mid. Would I have to modify the crossovers to use the DaveA LMAHL tweeters? Will the LMAHL's blend well with the titanium mids? I've never been completely satisfied with the tweeter response from the KLF-20 even with the titanium diaphragms. They sound a bit shrill, brittle, and recessed to my old ears. Would the LMAHL's be an improvement or just a sideways move over what I have now?
Thanks,
Sam

I don't have them in KLF-20's but I do have them in two pairs of KLF-30's. I really like them better than the original drivers with titanium diaphragms.

They're much more detailed and smoother. The originals sounded dull and lifeless in comparison believe it or not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My only concern is whether they'll blend well with my mids. I've got the oem , can't remember the part #, Klipsch titanium diaphragms in the mids. I talked to Bob about the crossovers before I bought the mids and he advised me to let him build a bandpass add on for the new crossovers to compensate for the titanium mids. He told me these were the first crossovers for KLF-20's that he had built with the bandpass. I'm confident that they'll be OK because if anybody knows Klipsch it's Bob Crites. As I mentioned earlier I've never been satisfied with the tweeters and I've always believed that they are overwhelmed by the mids and are the biggest weakness in the 20's. The 20's to my ears sound better and smoother with movies than they do with music. Cymbals sound very recessed and gritty on two channel music so hopefully Dave's units will rectify this. That's just my personal opinion and I'm looking forward to hearing the LMAHL's.

2 hours ago, slovell said:

My only concern is whether they'll blend well with my mids. I've got the oem , can't remember the part #, Klipsch titanium diaphragms in the mids. I talked to Bob about the crossovers before I bought the mids and he advised me to let him build a bandpass add on for the new crossovers to compensate for the titanium mids. He told me these were the first crossovers for KLF-20's that he had built with the bandpass. I'm confident that they'll be OK because if anybody knows Klipsch it's Bob Crites. As I mentioned earlier I've never been satisfied with the tweeters and I've always believed that they are overwhelmed by the mids and are the biggest weakness in the 20's. The 20's to my ears sound better and smoother with movies than they do with music. Cymbals sound very recessed and gritty on two channel music so hopefully Dave's units will rectify this. That's just my personal opinion and I'm looking forward to hearing the LMAHL's.

Just get the MAHL's man. You can't go wrong with those. Got them myself. First pair, actually, since I did the curves on them. Go without hesitation! You will appreciate the results to the second power.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Got them in and they sound very good indeed. To my ears they're clearer and sweeter than the titaniums, cymbals are much better with more ring and presence. The LMAHL's so far seem to blend a bit better with the titanium mids. Money well spent IMHO.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, slovell said:

Got them in and they sound very good indeed. To my ears they're clearer and sweeter than the titraniums, cymbals are much better with more ring and presence. The MAHL's so far seem to blend a bit better with the titanium mids. Money well spent IMHO.

Missed this thread earlier... I have had the Large MAKL and am using them with the MCM1900. I have enjoyed them from the start. Great detail and the craftsmanship is top-shelf. 

• Like 2

When I put the LMAHL's in my KLF-20's I was in the middle of doing some mods on my Jolida JD9a. I was soldering in some Obbligato caps and changing out four of the BB OPA627ap op amps for LT1028's leaving two BB's in the output position. When I finished everything I put Donald Fagen's Nightfly on the Scout and had a "Holy Crap This Sounds Good" moment. Haven't had one of those in a while. The music just jumped out at me. More detail, better mids, tighter bass, I could finally really hear cymbals that actually sounded like cymbals. I ordered two more Obbligatos for the Jolida JD5T preamp that should be here next week. Can't wait to hear what that 's going to add to the mix. I've got GE 5751 JAN triple micas in the JD9 and I've got another pair of them I'm thinking about putting in the JD5T, while it's apart, in place of the Psvane 12ax7's that are in there now. Really impressed with the overall quality of the LMAHL's , I wasn't expecting such a really nice change. It's not often you actually get what you pay for.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 2/26/2020 at 6:03 PM, slovell said:

When I put the LMAHL's in my KLF-20's I was in the middle of doing some mods on my Jolida JD9a. I was soldering in some Obbligato caps and changing out four of the BB OPA627ap op amps for LT1028's leaving two BB's in the output position. When I finished everything I put Donald Fagen's Nightfly on the Scout and had a "Holy Crap This Sounds Good" moment. Haven't had one of those in a while. The music just jumped out at me. More detail, better mids, tighter bass, I could finally really hear cymbals that actually sounded like cymbals. I ordered two more Obbligatos for the Jolida JD5T preamp that should be here next week. Can't wait to hear what that 's going to add to the mix. I've got GE 5751 JAN triple micas in the JD9 and I've got another pair of them I'm thinking about putting in the JD5T, while it's apart, in place of the Psvane 12ax7's that are in there now. Really impressed with the overall quality of the LMAHL's , I wasn't expecting such a really nice change. It's not often you actually get what you pay for.

Did you install Lpads when you installed the LMHAHLs or was it not too bright?