Hearing Aid????

DizRotus

At 71 yo (72 in November) my high frequency hearing is compromised, probably due to age, as well as a mobile DJ business in the 70s.  Four Speakerlab SKhorns in a fraternity house dining room did some damage too.  When I use headphones to listen to test tones all is well until about 10KHz when it stops.

While waiting at the airport a slightly younger friend showed me his Eargo Neo aids.  He was extolling their virtues.

A review of their site and some conversations with a rep have all but convinced me to give them a try.  They are specifically designed to enhance high frequency hearing only.  They are in-ear, but do not block lower frequencies.  Eargo sent a free pair of dummy  units to experience fit and comfort.  With the dummies in place, I soon forget they’re in there; they do not block lower frequencies.  A 45 day return policy limits the risk to $99.00.

Does anyone have actual experience with  Eargo products?  What suggestions regarding hearing aids in general do you have?  Who uses aids to listen to music?

It would be nice to not ask others, especially women and children, to please repeat.

• Like 2

I use a hearing aid. My hearing loss is bilateral but worse on the left. Originally they set me up with bilateral appliances but it was too disorienting. So I kept just the left unit. My device is tuned to augment my tested frequency deficits and it is supposed to be ‘musically’ capable. 

In reality music is less satisfying because the appliance picks up sounds more from the rear than common for hearing. It maybe that I simply cannot adjust to its settings or orientation. But I do not ever reach for the hearing aid when I desire to hear music. In fact I remove it for music. I use it for conversation or watching the ‘stupid’ box. For me it is more of a practical tool than a musical amp device.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my small town , there seems to be half a dozen  hearing companies .   Hearing aids costing $6K , I think they all use the same  electronics   with different plastic shell to make them look different , designed by German company .

Last year , I was 63 then , all of a sudden my hearing  lost some of the highs , everything sounds weird now .

If I cup one or both of my ears , all hearing returns .

Luckily , Klipsch has the highs that most  speakers don't so that sure works out in my favour .

I'll be getting some aids sometime in the next year or two , I suppose , I'm afraid I'll be  unable to go without them , after using them for awhile 

Cupping my hand  forward over my ear works for now 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Huh?  

Old guy here w/tons of $$$$ passed a few years ago and my buddy picked up a dollar box at the auction and said here I got this for ya you need it.  I opened the box and it looked as though it was never worn.  I kept it and just in the past year realized it was for my left ear which has been terrible since I was in the Artillery for 10 of 22 years.  Yup, could do the VA route but I thought I'd have the local lady here check it out.  Showed her the paperwork and she immediately said, "Did you get the other one too?  I sold him two."   Ugh...  Yea, it's on most of the time now and sucks listening to my system but I don't hear squat anymore.  Won't be long and I'll be needing something for both ears sooo keepin an eye on this thread!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave1290 said:

Huh?  

Old guy here w/tons of $$$$ passed a few years ago and my buddy picked up a dollar box at the auction and said here I got this for ya you need it.  I opened the box and it looked as though it was never worn.  I kept it and just in the past year realized it was for my left ear which has been terrible since I was in the Artillery for 10 of 22 years.  Yup, could do the VA route but I thought I'd have the local lady here check it out.  Showed her the paperwork and she immediately said, "Did you get the other one too?  I sold him two."   Ugh...  Yea, it's on most of the time now and sucks listening to my system but I don't hear squat anymore.  Won't be long and I'll be needing something for both ears sooo keepin an eye on this thread!

Are you serious?  You do realize that you can get free hearing aids for life from the VA, not to mention a monthly disability check?  Why not take advantage of that?  You have your choice of several different models of very high end hearing aids that are excellent.

• Like 5

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Randyh said:

you have to get checked by  a physician to determine the reason for this type of  hearing loss  ,  some hearing loss is degenerative and if you wait too long , even hearing aids will not help , but , feel confident that there are current medical treatments for hearing that are better than hearing aids ,  implants  and they bring back hearing to the deaf -

Last I heard they will only do cochlear implant if you are deaf or cannot hear/understand speech even with hearing aids.

Cochlear implants do not restore hearing to normal. In a small minority of people, they may not help with hearing at all.

They cost $30,000 to $50,000 per ear without insurance. If you have insurance they typically only cover if hearing aids do not work.

That may have changed in last few years, I don't know.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Y'all should get 'em for free, and free batteries, and should be no waiting.

While i’m not enjoying the rainy season around Portland ... the VA Hospital there is top notch.  They are a Magnet Hospital and the care is very good. They partner with Oregon Health & Science University ... whose hospital is right next door and connected by a walkway. My brother had a very intensive surgery having his esophagus removed and new esophagus made out of a portion of his stomach. VA sent him to OHSU and he’s cancer free now. 

Actually, one of the better hospitals that i’ve seen. 

Hope life is good for you Travis. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Yea, I'm VERY serious.  There are various ways to obtain those benefits are you aware of THAT?  Research the regs a bit more then get back to me  :)

I already have. I am way ahead of you as usual.  However, you already seem to know everything so maybe there isn’t anything I can help you with.