RP-500SA, better pointing up off my Chorus IIs or wall mounted?

alkemyst

I just picked up a set of RP-500SAs for a good price.  I am adding them to my Chorus II/Academy/RP-250S setup powered by a Denon AVR-X3500H.

The room is smallish (12-15x12) but all I have for now.  I don't know if it will be better to have the RP-500SAs firing up from the Chorus IIs or on the wall at the ceiling facing forward/angled down.

I am debating whether I can get away with a sub being on the 2nd floor of an apartment...I don't think I can at least based on my experience with my home theatre at my house.  My Chorus II are only about 8 inches from the walls so their bass output is not ideal as well.  I have some Crites crossovers coming to tune them up and I may then play with placement (angle or not and or try to bring them out a few more inches.)

Going wall mounted...not clear on what setting on the speaker to use.  The manual is not clear if wall mounting in front is the ATMOS or SURROUND setting.  It shows if lying flat on a speaker the front locations and ATMOS setting on.  It shows the wall mounted view for rear and side surrounds and the SURROUND setting on.  It doesn't show a wall mounted front option.

Hey I'm in the same boat. Got the same exact speakers. I also have a smallish room similar in size. I got these intended for Dolby Atmos which i believe needs to bounce off the ceiling to disperse the sound. I have the Denon 3600 and during the initial setup it was asking for for speaker type and when i selected dolby atmos it showed speakers facing the ceiling (didn't have an option for wall mounted atmos) and when i selected height speakers it showed the speakers up high. So right now  I have my speakers up high but dolby atmos option selected which i think might be wrong. Everything does sound great but i haven't had time to mess with it. Of course i already put holes in the wall to hide the speakers haha.

speakers.jpg