Superbowl Menu items...

Schu

I absolutely LOVE beef ribs! I like to do ametuer BBQ competitions on the side and have won with my pork ribs, but beef is where it's at!

I'm holding off doing anymore competitions until I get my 20' trailer done with two reverse flow smokers, a grill, a roof and my hereseys's hanging down.

• Like 2

No offense to anyone, yes, Brisket is a very difficult meat to cook.  I don't know how many thousands (literally) cooking brisket. But, to say it's the most challenging to me I have to disagree.

Cook a 7 rib Prime Rib and get it medium rare wall to wall with a perfect char on the outside.  That is a $315 cut of meat.

Cook chicken for judges so that when they take a bite the skin doesn't come off with it.  That means you have to scrape off the fat that is attached to the skin so that you can see through the skin.

Cook ribs so that when you take a bite the meat doesn't fall off the bone but just leaves the outline of your bite.

What I'm trying to say is that all meats have their challenges.  Brisket has it's own as well.  The biggest thing I've learned from BBQ is that you use a thermometer as a guide and not fact.  Certain cuts you use it to let you know when it's finished, other cuts you use it to see if it glides in like butter with no resistance and then you know it's done.

I have found it takes a lot of practice and you use different techniques for different cuts.

Case in point, majority of people say to sear a steak first to seal in the juices.  Wrong!  Slow cook a steak at say 275 degrees.  When you hit 100-110 internal, take it off.  Crank up your grill to 600-700 degrees and sear it.  Perfect medium rare wall to wall no grey and great char everytime.  Num num num.

Learn the technique for your specific cut and it's not that much of a challenge for anything is what I'm trying to say.

Oh and get your smoke and fire right!

• Like 1