Heresy III Pre/Amp Selection

High_Noon

Howdy.  New member here.  I recently purchased a pair of Heresy IIIs and I need some advice on amp/pre or integrated selection. Primary usage will be music; although, the ability to hook up a HT would be nice, but not a deal-breaker since I have an old Pioneer and other speakers I could use for HT. Room size is irrelevant at this point since I will probably be moving in the next 6 months or so. Budget is ~ $3,000.00, less would be better, and I plan on purchasing used equipment a piece at a time since I cannot afford everything all at once.

What I had in mind was to focus on an excellent quality pre and then add an amp later. I realize that Heresy speakers are highly efficient and don’t require a lot of wattage and I recognize that the Heresies generally do well with tube equipment, but I’d like to stay with SS if at all possible – mainly for maintenance & initial cost concerns, but I will consider tubes if the unit is not too old and/or has been recently serviced or restored and the price is right.

My initial thought was to find a McIntosh C45 and pair it with an MC250, or find a Audio Research SP-14 Hybrid, but I’m not sure what amp would be a good match for the SP-14.  A MA6900 could be found for under $3K, but the initial cost is too much for me right now.

I did find a “mint” McIntosh C220 for $699.00 + $150.00 shipping, but I have concerns that it may be a scam for that price. But man, it sure is tempting.  I also found an ATI AT602 for $300.00 + $60.00 shipping.  I think a C220 & an AT602 for $1.2K would sure be sweet, but I don't know how it would pair w/ my Heresy IIIs.

Any advice or other equipment suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by High_Noon

glens:  Will do, but I was really hoping for more recommendations and discussion from the forum members here.

Unless I get some traction with this thread, I will keep looking for a C45 or C220 and I'll probably get an ATI AT602 or maybe a AT1505 to start.  The ATI will probably get replaced at some point.  A rebuilt MC275 or 225 would be nice, but they're too expensive, hence my interest in the MC250.  I think a tube pre and a SS amp might work well with my Heresy IIIs.

Anyone have any recommendations on relative low-powered amps - either tube or SS?

Edited by High_Noon
  • Like 1

Your budget is a bit of a problem if you aspire to McIntosh.  Mc makes a 50wpc headphone amp that some here like for a main amp; perhaps you can find one used. 

There are innumerable possibilities.  Look at the better Marantz units.  Accessories4less will have pretty good prices.  Check the NYC discount camera houses.  Have a look at this:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-S1100SL-Channel-Integrated-Amplifier/dp/B0105JWDPU/ref=sr_1_3?crid=29E721OQF0NCN&keywords=yamaha+integrated+amplifier&qid=1580842400&sprefix=Yamaha+integr%2Caps%2C417&sr=8-3

Acurus and Parasound make integrateds in your price range that should sound excellent.  Metropolislakeoutfitters can advise you on the sound of some of these and perhaps save you a little money. 

JohnA:  Thanks.  Yes, I understand that getting into McIntosh is not cheap.  I think it can be done for close to my budget.  I have seen pretty decent prices on used MAC gear from time to time and if I pair a MAC pre with a different amp, I can meet my budget.

I have also seen used Yamaha A-S2100s, on occasion, for under 2K, which I am also considering. 

Edited by High_Noon
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, High_Noon said:

Interesting that you also chose a tube pre and a SS amp

Oh, those were just old things I had laying around and decided to throw them together....LOL  The MX110Z is a bit of overkill with the MC250, but they do sound good together.

11 minutes ago, TFR1 said:

@High_Noon

Last Friday I was fortunate to spend a  couple of hours in jimjimbo's listening room. The  McIntosh MX110Z pre into the MC250 with the Heresy IIIs sound amazing.

But don't reject the Jim's suggestion of a restored Fisher 500C. My 500C never fails to impress! 

Jerry

Thank you Jerry, we did have a good time.  That was really the first time I had anyone over to listen to the "wall of sound" of the Super Heresys up top, the Heresy IIIs on the bottom, and the Khorns and La Scalas in the middle.  I'm glad it was you!!

• Thanks 1

TFR1:  Good to know that I seem to be on the right track with my ideas.

jimjimbo:  Just laying around?  An enviable position to be in. 

Well, I do have a Marantz 2238B and a Kenwood KT-7500 boxed up in storage - but alas - no MAC gear.

Also, I found an Audio Research LS25 MK II for $1,800.00 today.

... or maybe a MC2100.

Edited by High_Noon

I have played H III's, and several other Klipsch models, through McIntosh and Marantz integrated amps and have no complaints. I prefer the newer McIntosh and (upper end) Marantz integrated amps to the "classic" integrated models made in the 1970's and 1980's, though those brand's older amps can sound really good too! The choice is a subjective one. The Marantz integrated amps made today in the Japan factory are great amps. And though new McIntosh models cost a considerable premium price, the sound is as good as integrated amps get IMO. Worth the price if you can afford it.

Buck

Edited by buckaroo
spelling

Randyh: That's what I plan to do until I can assemble the "new" components I'm after.  I do realize that the Heresy IIIs only require a few watts.  What would you consider "overkill" as far as wattage is concerned?  I was considering the First Watt F6, but was advised that, though tempting, such low wattage amps are not ideal for daily usage.

buckaroo:  Nope, I cannot afford the newer MAC stuff, which is why I'm looking at used, older Mac and Audio Research pre amps - still undecided on the amp, but as I stated the MC250 and 2100 are appealing.

The Marantz PM8005 is supposed to be pretty decent, or so I've read.

Edited by High_Noon

I have an ATI AT602 I have had for a long time. I use it as my dead-center-of-summer amp with the original Forte speakers. It does not have any audio cache to speak of but it is a very good quality, build and completely neutral, and runs barely warm.

As an out of left field suggestion look at the Schiit Audio Aegir. Modest in size and power (20 watts) but runs very high into Class A bias and is a stellar performer for $800.