Heresy III Pre/Amp Selection

High_Noon

DavidF:  I was thinking about getting an AT602 until I can afford to get an MC250 or 2100 and I found one for a good price, but I'd rather have a 3 channel that I could later use for center & rear surround speakers.  Do you know if ATI made a 3 channel in that same series?  ATIs new 3 channel amps are a bit too dear, I think, for my intended usage.  I'll take a look at the Aegir.

Edited by High_Noon

22 hours ago, JohnA said:

Your budget is a bit of a problem if you aspire to McIntosh.  Mc makes a 50wpc headphone amp that some here like for a main amp; perhaps you can find one used. 

I have 3 of the MHA100 and have been extremely happy with them.

I have talked with McIntosh and was told they will deliver 80 watts at 4ohm loads.

If interested in any used McIntosh check out Audio Classics. I have found them to usually be very reasonable on price and often have a 1 year warranty on used as well.

They show a NOS unit at a very good price IMHO.

820B335F-DE15-40EC-AEC9-A9881C0717B5.thumb.jpeg.2fbef21274de1f1f0da65d69018d3be1.jpeg

9057C749-8222-41B0-A331-85FE8A06A312.thumb.png.72e029a4b0c96ab597236c2fee461135.png

• Like 3

mikebse2a3:  Thanks for the Audio Classics recommendation, I had forgotten about them.  The MHA100 looks interesting and that is a pretty good price but, unfortunately at over 3K I'd still need to add a pre and that would put me way over budget.  AudioClassics has a MC2100 in D1 condition for $799.00, but "D" physical condition is probably a bit too rough. 

33 minutes ago, High_Noon said:

mikebse2a3:  Thanks for the Audio Classics recommendation, I had forgotten about them.  The MHA100 looks interesting and that is a pretty good price but, unfortunately at over 3K I'd still need to add a pre and that would put me way over budget.  AudioClassics has a MC2100 in D1 condition for $799.00, but "D" physical condition is probably a bit too rough. 

Even though it’s referred to as a Headphone amplifier It’s actually an integrated amplifier with DAC and other features like remote as well.

I truly consider these units as one of the best values available if they meet your needs and as good a sounding McIntosh I’ve heard in its power range.

I also use the McIntosh C50 with these mostly for the available Tone Control section which I consider an invaluable tool for less than ideal recordings but otherwise one of the MHA100 would meet all my needs.

Good luck with your search 👍🙂

miketn

On 2/4/2020 at 1:34 PM, High_Noon said:

glens:  Will do, but I was really hoping for more recommendations and discussion from the forum members here.

Unless I get some traction with this thread, I will keep looking for a C45 or C220 and I'll probably get an ATI AT602 or maybe a AT1505 to start.  The ATI will probably get replaced at some point.  A rebuilt MC275 or 225 would be nice, but they're too expensive, hence my interest in the MC250.  I think a tube pre and a SS amp might work well with my Heresy IIIs.

Anyone have any recommendations on relative low-powered amps - either tube or SS?

You sure are going through a lot of mental masturbation. Here is a nice integrated that would pair well with H3's: http://www.erhard-audio.com/Basie.html

I'm driving H3's with a Dennis Had Inspire PSE and http://www.erhard-audio.com/Aretha.html

I have Heresy's with a MC2505 amp and a C28 pre amp and they sounds fantastic! I originally was using a Harman Kardon A500 tube amp and the McIntosh equipment is a much better match with the Heresy's.  If you do buy McIntosh, be careful if you purchase online as some shippers will not pack the vintage equipment properly; I have another MC2505 in the closet that was damaged during shipping due to poor packing.  I found my C28 locally in Phoenix on Craigslist from the original owner, I found my (second) MC2505 on Craigslist in Portland, I was going there for business and brought it home in my carry-on suitcase (I did remove the glass for the flight).

Edited by PHX1KAH
edit duplicate word
  • Like 1

I have always found the Heresy models(1 and 2) not to be amplification picky and I assume the Heresy 3s to be the same.  I have driven both 1 and 2 with many different makes and models and wattage of receivers, integrated amps, and preamp/amp combos and all have been up to the task.

Bill

• Moderators
10 hours ago, PHX1KAH said:

I have Heresy's with a MC2505 amp and a C28 pre amp and they sounds fantastic! I originally was using a Harman Kardon A500 tube amp and the McIntosh equipment is a much better match with the Heresy's.  If you do buy McIntosh, be careful if you purchase online as some shippers will not pack the vintage equipment properly; I have another MC2505 in the closet that was damaged during shipping due to poor packing.  I found my C28 locally in Phoenix on Craigslist from the original owner, I found my (second) MC2505 on Craigslist in Portland, I was going there for business and brought it home in my carry-on suitcase (I did remove the glass for the flight).

That would get you put in the special line I'm thinking.

PHX1KAH:  Yet another vote for McIntosh and Heresies.  I’ll certainly try to make sure that whatever I end up with is packaged properly.  Thanks.

willland:  Your experience seems to be contrary to the advice I have received, as well as what I have read, but it’s good to know that you’ve had luck matching amps and your Heresy I & IIs.

ricktate:  Thanks.  I realize that Parasound makes some decent amps, but MIC is a deal-breaker for me.  Also, the second link you posted does not work - the content appears to have been removed.

Edited by High_Noon

7 hours ago, High_Noon said:

willland:  Your experience seems to be contrary to the advice I have received, as well as what I have read, but it’s good to know that you’ve had luck matching amps and your Heresy I & IIs.

I am not saying all brands/models "match" with Heresys but the Luxman, NAD, Cambridge Audio, Yamaha, Acurus, B&K, Anthem, Onkyo/Integra, Denon, Marantz, Adcom, Sunfire pieces all sounded pretty well;):D.  If I had to pick a "best" match I would say the Luxman/Heresy was it.

Bill

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd inform the forum that I just purchased an excellent condition MC250, which has been used little since receiving a service by Terry DeWick several years ago.  

I'm now on the lookout for a C45 with the TM1 tuner module and RAA1 antenna. My goal is to find one under 2K. I've seen a few sell in that range, they come along every now and then, but it'll take time to find one.

Edited by High_Noon
  • Like 1