Looking for opinions on Tangent 400

lonnie0778

I have only recently become a fan of Klipsch, I had a reference series setup a while back, while they did sound good, I felt my Definitive Technology setup sounded better. Fast forward to a few months ago, I got a good deal on a mint set of KLF-10's. I didn't know much about the line, only knew they looked good and we're dirt cheap. The sound the produce still makes me smile. Now I have run across a set of Tangent 400, and seem very fairly priced, would love to hear what people think of them. I appreciate any feedback. 

• Like 1

The t40 is a real sleeper. Exact same parts as a heresy II, but a larger cabinet. Better low end.. I have wantedto uid the T400 cab ut of balticbirch and put in the parts from my HIIs... but haven't had the money.

Bruce

• Like 1

I have located a pair somewhat local for $100, I had never really heard much of Tangent before, I appreciate the insight, if they don't sell before I can get to them I am going to pick them up. Seller says they work and sound good, and seem to be in decent shape in the photos. 

They were made mostly for military base exchanges. The are constructed from mdf, so you just need to made sure all the cabinet joints are tight and sealed. I have a friend who paid $200 for his and he thinks they were a good deal. His were in perfect shape when he bought them, though. Just check them out and let us know.

I have recently perfected the art of repairing the glue issues, just sold a pair of KG 5.5's and both had a loose panel, and in the process of repairing the back panel on the KLF-C7 that came with them, so if that is an issue and the only issue it wouldn't scare me off. I was afraid if I hadn't asked Tangent would be a spin-off company or something that wasn't worth buying. Hopefully can get them this weekend, if so I will post updates. 

It does seem to be a little jacked up...might or might not affect it too terribly bad.  How far are these from you?  I would want some pretty decent pics if you're having to drive a ways.  The bad side to these speakers is the lass than stellar cabinet construction which was done to save money and weight since they were sold on Military bases.  Some internal bracing would help a lot there.  What about grills and general cabinet shape?   Might be a little more room to barter but you better show up with the cash for either way as someone will get them.

• 1 month later...

well? These are Heresy 2 but in a bigger vented cabinet.. Same drivers and crossovers!

. What many people try to do with their Heresys. 

Did you get them? 

I had purchased a pair but never really listened to them much. I got a pair of KLF20s and sold the T400s.. Should have given them a chance... Got a pair of Forte also... sold them all to keep an old restored pair of Heresys.. loved the sound the best of the lot! 

I had picked up a pair of Tangent 5000's for $240 ~ 4 years ago and was glad I did. Like the Tangent 400/4000 being a Heresy II in a larger box the 5000's are a forte (I) in a larger box with the passive front mounted. You will find that most of the time the motor boards will have a large amount of air gap around the edges. I took out the drivers and shined a light from the inside out at the seams and in my case I only had ~12-14 inches actually making contact. And yes there was glue all the way around it just never reached the cabinet walls other than the wood blocks. After resealing the entire inside of both boxes the difference was a night and day change for the better. Another improvement was to recap the xo's, even with just Solens & new NPE's. I have been fighting the urge to go to better caps, something like say Audyn Plus & Q4 for the NPE's but we are talking about a set of $240 speakers and they seem to sound quite good as they are right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...