How much backup do you need

joessportster

I do about the same thing, one internal hard drive that is a backup drive that pushes a copy to 2 external hard drives, one of which is a rotating usb drive, with one, always being offsite.  I use a program that runs on a schedule daily to scan the primary drive for any changes and then push those to the other drives.  Hard drives are so freaking cheap that it's crazy not to have backups.  

At the risk of forgetting the old DOS commands.....

At one time, you could use XCOPY32 c:\music files /D

With a DATE switch on the end and it would only copy/update those who's date had changed.

I've copied things to a backup disk.....but so far, can't figure out how to simply copy the new info leaving the already copied stuff behind.

(yes, I'm doing it in windows now, but I miss the old switches you could use)

Can you do that in the Windows structure?

15 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I've copied things to a backup disk.....but so far, can't figure out how to simply copy the new info leaving the already copied stuff behind.

xcopy32 /a

or

xcopy32 /m

depending upon whether you want to reset the archive bit.

19 minutes ago, Coytee said:

.but so far, can't figure out how to simply copy the new info leaving the already copied stuff behind.

Vice Versa Pro is what I use.  You set up the routine and it does all the rest based on what you set it up to do. 

18 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Spend the small fee for a licensed copy of BeyondCompare4 and quit wasting time with DOS.

Yes worth every penny of $30 or whatever it is. Once you have it you will find thousands of uses for it.

I used to run an IT department for a >5,000 PC installed base, and Unix servers etc.  I told the folks who worked with me that I didn't care how many backups or where they were, just as long as, when I drew an X through the largest data center, they could recover 100% of the data in the recovery time negotiated with all our internal customers.  I pulled one full scale disaster recovery test.  The folks did pretty well, and mostly what I learned was the demands of the users for recovery time were unrealistic and we needed to manage those.  If you are both backup artist and user of the recovery process ... well have fun with that contract!  You can never have too many backups, and you never have them in the right place at the right time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC39693 said:

I told the folks who worked with me that I didn't care how many backups or where they were, just as long as, when I drew an X through the largest data center, they could recover 100% of the data in the recovery time negotiated with all our internal customers. 

We lost a networked drive at my office. Took a week to recover from tape backup, and at that they still lost all of the last day's files. Turned out that it was a multidisk RAID that failed (I don't know what flavor of RAID it was, but it was tolerant of more than one disk failure). Whomever was in charge of maintaining it apparently ignored the warning messages as individual disks failed, one by one. It wasn't until the failure was unrecoverable that somebody paid attention.

• Sad 1

I've had stints as a backup admin in my career. I know what should be done and even how. The problem is translating that to my home environment where I have about 40TB of data. It's just not feasible or cost effective to try and retain two more copies.

So I rely on a mix of hardware and software raid with parity to buy me time in the event of a drive failure. Then I'm highly reactive when a drive does fail. I back up the the ~1TB of truly critical data, such as photos, and then just accept that the rest is always a potential loss which will need to be reacquired.

33 minutes ago, Randyh said:

NAS works for me ------perfect solution ----

NAS is not backup (common misconception) it is storage. If you house burns down you are done. If you have catastrophic failure across multiple drives depending on RAID (0,1,5,6)  you are done. The R in RAID = Redundant

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rplace said:

NAS is not backup (common misconception) it is storage. If you house burns down you are done. If you have catastrophic failure across multiple drives depending on RAID (0,1,5,6)  you are done. The R in RAID = Redundant

I use unRAID with dual parity and RAID50 :D..

gqIFUF.gif