Look What Followed Me Home!!

JohnA

H IVs in CX.jpg

A new pair from MetropolisLakeOutfitters! 

Cropped H IV2.jpg

I started with "Caballo Diablo" and finished "Fire On The Mountain" and now I'm up to "The Allman Brothers Band" and "Dreams".  D C A  D C A  D C A ....... pickin' and grinnin' in 3/4 time!  Yummy.  I think the woofer is waking up! 

• Like 20

I'm gonna have to eat some of my words.  After about 4 hours of Dubstep, 4 hours of blues rock and over night on an FM radio station, these new H IVs have more bass output.  This afternoon they sound like the ones we heard in Hope, very clean, detailed and occasionally dark, maybe even a little bassy.  Much cleaner/clearer than the H Is that were in the same spot for 2+ years.  These are not my father's Heresies.   As you'd expect the low bass is weak and I like the subwoofer turned on.  Still, I think they could be quite satisfying without a subwoofer if they were put nearer to a corner.  My instrument room doesn't allow that easily.  I can't remember ever listening to the H Is without the sub, or wanting to. 

They actually throw a believable spatial image, too.  My H Is never did. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JohnA said:

I do too!  A friend said if I'd feed them red meat they'd grow into Cornwalls.  They just make a mess with hamburger. 

Feed em nice marbled rib eyes twice a day for two weeks straight and maybe they will grow up to be CW IVs. 

O.K.  No more scoffing at break-in claims, at least regarding woofers.  After several hours of heavy bass with the all the bass boost I could muster and then 3 days of quiet playing, there is a very noticeable improvement in their bass output.  I also decided to move them around a little and got them closer to the walls.  The low bass improved, so I would not hesitate to run these without a subwoofer.  I'm very pleased.  These H IVs are a credit to Klipsch and a fine tribute to Mr. Paul (and Roy 😉 ). 

They are very detailed.  Cymbals are delicate and clean, voices and their breathing is distinct and realistic.  Berry Oakley's bass notes on "The Allman Brother's Band" are clear and well defined and have the warmth we all wish our basses had. 

• 2 weeks later...

Something else I've noticed.  I could always look at my H Is and know where each driver was, especially the tweeters.  I cannot identify the location of any of the drivers in these H IVs.  There is just a place where sound emanates. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JohnA said:

Something else I've noticed.  I could always look at my H Is and know where each driver was, especially the tweeters.  I cannot identify the location of any of the drivers in these H IVs.  There is just a place where sound emanates. 

That is one failure of earlier Heresys.