Are Your Capacitors Installed Backwards ??

Kreg

6 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

You never ever shrink wrap wire runs together, as their fields interact upon each other. 

Actually, this interaction is desirable because it prevents leakage of stray magnetic fields as a complementary pair (or trio in 3-phase circuits) will cancel each other out!  The same in regards to picking up unwanted influence.  You are exactly 180 degrees out of phase with that notion, Jeff.

Properly-tidied wiring is essential both aesthetically and purposefully.

Edited:  I haven't been following the thread but I do know personal insults are not permitted here and you might consider editing that out.  I think we ought to police ourselves first, so the mods don't have to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I haven't been following the thread but I do know personal insults are not permitted here and you might consider editing that out.  I think we ought to police ourselves first, so the mods don't have to. 

12 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

A better Rush song would be The Twilight Zone.

I am with you guys. I haven't been following this thread but saw this "

12 hours ago, richieb said:
14 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I'll bring the shaker.

hardtofindicylice?g=aHR0cHM6Ly90aHVtYnMu

=== whoa, I’d hate to see that thing go off in her — — hand —

And it reminded me that this was a Speaker Forum. LOL.

17 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

And it reminded me that this was a Speaker Forum. LOL.

Yes it is but this thread is hard to take seriously.  As of yet, there hasn't been any reports or PM's with complaints.  Valid points have been made however and I would strongly encourage members to reply to the posts and not attack the poster.  If anyone thinks my posts have been out of line or un-moderatorly (is that a word?) please PM me and I will edit accordingly.

Medwin is is the master of hurling veiled insults at anyone and everyone who does not agree with his nonsense.. the following are from just one post...

"It is common knowledge that film caps sound different ( in a GOOD system ) depending upon their orientation. Any good audiophile knows this. " Medwin says... see you are all not a "good audiophile"

then there are the direct insults...

"If Dean wants to be "for hire", charge people to make crossovers, and be oblivious to this, AND use tie wraps around film cap bodies to disturb their fields, be my guest in having that to listen through that.  You obtain what you deserve.  But there IS a better way"

not sure how many customers Dean or BEC or ALK have, or those who have DIY xo's like them but this one goes for all of you...

What I post herein, honestly,  WORKS on my system,.  Your use and reliance  of " logic, science & mathematical facts " leads you to mediocre results for audio playback in your home.  If you can't see it, or won't accept my reports at face value, there is no way I can help you !!"

as 99.9% of people will NOT follow his absurdity, he states emphatically to all we have mediocre audio systems...

this moron does not go away.. he is like gum or dog crap on your shoe...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Sir,  so you think, and you are entitled to your thinking, but I Know from my actual building and listening experience, you are totally incorrect !!

Jeff Medwin.

Cognito sum ergo sum cognito.

But anyway, I do not think capacitors store energy in an electric field I KNOW they do. And inductors store energy in a magnetic field. It's called electronic engineering.

The dimes worth of difference is a quote from PWK.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, babadono said:

I have a curious thought. What if we eliminate all or a lot of the wires and instead put them on a new fangled thingy called a "printed circuit board" IS that a good thing or a bad thing?

Mil spec or no?

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Do they make 8 ga PCB's?  If so, I'm cool with it.

When wires are unrolled and flattened out to put on PCB they take on other magical qualities. Ohm's law is a thing of the past, totally passe.

2 minutes ago, babadono said:

When wires are unrolled and flattened out to put on PCB they take on other magical qualities. Ohm's law is a thing of the past, totally passe.

I've heard that you're totally incorrect so I'm not sure if I believe you or not.

19 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

No Alexander, everything I post, I have done and heard.   

I have never claimed I can HEAR the difference between 57 1/8 th and one meter.  But that length was derived in a EE's Lab, who knew what the heck he was doing and measuring, back in the 1970s.  About 2016 I had a friend, a Manufacturer, with a State of the Art audio system, tell me he experimented with different wire lengths, and indeed, the length I told him, 57 1/8 th , sounded BEST to him.  So, I have my confirmation, by a different source, using a different method,  four decades later !!  

To be able to measure a proverbial .0000000009 volts does not necessarily mean it would be affecting a circuit. Maybe your buddy had read from the same source to come up with the same wire length.

stuff which measures pretty close can sound different.  I once had a cheap solid state amp - fed it well level matched (set by HP200CD and ACVM) with  music though 3 different high level stages: - 1: the high level stage of a Rockford-Fosgate preamp, 2: a 10K ALP's pot, 3: a stepped attenuator switch using discrete resistors.  The active circuit with quad op amps & electrolytic coupling caps had a bloated and "hooty" **  upper bass tone. (I still could enjoy that preamp with music I liked)  The stepped attenuator, a lean and somewhat "steely" tone - I actually preferred the ALP's pot to the switch. 

(** I had one of those old NOS DAC with tantalum output cap which imparted a "different" tone than film caps - good for some stuff - my favorite DAC have no op-amp - just cap or transformer but do have an old Audio-Note unit with tube output stage, shunt regulation and copper foil caps which is very nice and the old Emotiva with discrete transistor output stage which feeds my cheap SE-EL34 amp driving Heresy I with KBG caps)

If someone wants to play with sound on the cheap, an in-wall stepped autoformer can be used between a CD player and amp as a poor-man's autoformer volume control.  There's not a lot of inductance for the low end but its still enough to be pretty flat to 20Hz and a common op-amp did not seem strained to drive it (evidenced by TrueRTA and sine tones).   Some of these dual channel speaker controls already have RCA-phono jacks so there's no added wiring or soldering needed. The autoformer will add a layer of overtones - which I found attractive on acoustic guitar and tenor male voice.  (why did John Hilliard refer to Nelson Eddy as an "operatic tenor"?)

On the other side of the power amplifier, a toy (which I think) works like Decware's "Gizmo" can be concocted with a low voltage filament transformer.  A variable resistor (two terminals of a 1K pot) are connected to the 120vac side.  The lowest voltage winding (typically one side  of secondary center-tap) is put in series with the speaker.  To a certain extent and over a certain range, changes in the HV winding with variable resistor shunt, are reflected to the secondary and are completely safe to adjust while music is playing.  Turning the pot "up" made my Heresy I, driven by solid state amp, sound quite underdamped - like a flabby tube amp - lots of sound variation.   Decware says his Gizmo transformer core is gapped - its awfully small.  I wonder what part it really is - ? I'm pretty well sure Decware also uses that unit in his fullrange driver (with a fixed resistor) to voice it and set its Qts.

In Jeff's case working with a zero feedback circuit, things probably are pretty sensitive.  I think small changes in frequency response can be noted and do not require "high end" gear to hear - nor super quality source.  I noticed a change in "tone" with 0.1dB (measured - steady state) with a small cap across an L- pad's leg using an EP2500.  It was with repeat playing of a recording with finger cymbals.  I doubt if I would have heard that (on the EP2500) with regular wide-band music. 

I'm very impressed by modern audio engineering and psycho-acoustic data reduction, allowing good storage for portable players and to be able to send reasonable quality mp3 through the mail. (w. 96kbps being my fave low rate) .

I've also been impressed by class D amplification in mass marketed gear vs AB and A solid state and imagine some of it could be improved with better op amps.  (I've never like 5532 for some reason - maybe it was the associated capacitors, etc. - did not like it in CD players nor a little Furman mic mixer) My hearing at age 69 (if I make it another 2 daze from now) is limited now to ~12K on the top - so bear my subjective statements with a lump of salt.