Are Your Capacitors Installed Backwards ??

Kreg

4 hours ago, glens said:

Well, that's where I thought this'd be going.  More power to ya, brother!

1200 volts at 1500 amps is 1.8 megawatts...

Rube Goldberg alive and well. WHERE DO all these wonderful IDEAS come from?

I followed the OP's link to his SYSTEM and I must say it IS a VERY interesting read.

How do you determine what colors of tape to use and how they should be placed? Does the durometer of the golf balls used affect audible transients? Should the same brand of golf ball be used for all supports or are there things to look for that might justify using one brand over another in certain locations?

2 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

I will delegate to you the assignment, put it all in your hands.  

I appreciate your faith in my abilities. I figure I am not smart enough to do all these things you do and would prefer to get your advice.

23 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

but I did notice different numbers on some of the balls, maybe 1 to 4

You have a very analytical mind and I figured you had tinkered with types of golf balls based on what you said. When you use the tape do you take out the cardboard roll on the inside or use it as is?

52 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Sir,

I think you have very slightly misunderstood Dave A's question.  He was actually referring to a photo of mine, NORT in this particular thread.  The solder iron melted a black spot on one of the two side-by-side yellow rolls of tape, holding an 802D high frequency driver, not a cap.  A roll of tape.

Thanks for inquiring.

Jeff 

I wasn't inquiring about anything Dave has said.  I was asking about the melted caps that are in pretty much all of your pictures.  If polarity mattered wouldn't the integrity of the cap matter as well?

18 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

No one cap ever " does it all ", so, I combine caps to get the circuit to perform as best-as-possible,  at least to my ear.

So you're saying you do all this only "by ear"?  Or do you verify anything with any kind of measurements, and if so, what?

I'm looking at the bundle of parallel caps and can't help but think there has to be detriment.  First, as we all understand, when you wire caps in parallel the resultant total capacitance is the sum of the individual values.  In a crossover, a cap is sized to locate the knee within the spectrum.  If a single cap of that value is employed then the desired frequency-filtering effect is obtained.

This is where I get to "thinking out loud" (without consulting pertinent documentation in the matter, yet) and will be simply using "ballpark" figures as I discuss the matter.

For high-pass, if a cap value of C corners at F Hz, and it's desired to split C into two separate caps of equal value (i.e. to alternate their polarities in parallel as mentioned earlier), wouldn't there then be two parallel circuits each with C/2, thus each cornering at F*2, each carrying half the power, with their outputs summed to the driver?  At frequencies well below or well above that of the desired corner it obviously shouldn't matter, but wouldn't the corner frequency then be different than intended?  I mean, if you visualize a response graph of C/2 at half the voltage added to another of the same, wouldn't the corner stay in the same horizontal location with the level merely rising vertically?  Would it match a response graph of a single C/1?

What if you combined the several response graphs of a single overall circuit with one of each C/2 (F*2), C/3 (F*3), and C/6 (F*6)?  The "total C" would then be "1" but I can't help but think the summed response graph would be vastly different than a slope upward to the right, to the desired corner frequency, and level to the right from there.  Assuming each of the three caps had the same ESR, wouldn't the resultant graph actually stair-step (sloped steps?) upward to the right with the lowest (and left-most) corner at twice the desired frequency, finally levelling off once the uppermost knee is reached?  

Cap values vs. frequencies are entirely dependent on the impedance of the load following the cap.  You can't say "x cap for y frequency" for every possible scenario.  It just don't work that way.

I never intended to imply you'd paralleled two caps of the same value with opposing "polarity" but it was specifically brought up by someone else.

Chew a bit more on what I wrote and address it in as much detail as you can.  I'm just trying to get a grasp on what you know vs. what you surmise.