Are Your Capacitors Installed Backwards ??

Kreg

capacitor bypassing with values seemingly too small to have any audible effect is controversial against capacitors with very low ESR specs.  Its been seen in "high end audio" for a long time.  DJK (RIP) recommended it in simple form with 0.1uF Dayton foil caps in crossovers - and if I remember correctly (?), 2.2uF ->4.7uF across solid state amplifier's power supply electrolytics.

for what its worth, reviews claim 0.01uF across 10uF made a difference with the cheap Dayton

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dffc-001-001uf-400v-by-pass-capacitor--027-450

11 minutes ago, karlson3 said:

capacitor bypassing with values seemingly too small to have any audible effect is controversial against capacitors with very low ESR specs.  Its been seen in "high end audio" for a long time.  DJK (RIP) recommended it in simple form with 0.1uF Dayton foil caps in crossovers - and if I remember correctly (?), 2.2uF ->4.7uF across solid state amplifier's power supply electrolytics.!

Bypass caps on power supplies (a necessity oftentimes) is a completely different purpose and subject, where small signals can be adversely affected causing larger problems downstream.  Here we're discussing large signals at the "bay".

In this instance, a multiple of miniscule values were brought forward to address various (generally) specific audio regions.  Quite a horse of a different color.

• Like 1

I'm not laffin too hard.  Just kinda grinning.  All I know is my caps haven't rolled away yet so those cable ties must be working.  No smoke out the rhl (oopsie 'rear horn loaded') mids and tweeters on my LS.  So yea @Deang, I guess I'm good to go.  Anything crazy nuts happens you'll be the first to know!  Never met PWK but I do know he had his game together imo.   :)

36 minutes ago, Budman said:

can i get a set of these

Yours will be a little different. The big Jupiter will still be there, but the tweeter caps will be Arizona Blue hermetically sealed oil filled - which is the cap I will stay with for as long as they’re available. 

50 minutes ago, karlson3 said:

where can one get those zippy doohickey things?  (to be "fair", Jupiter + Multicap might be considered "non scientific" vs say a $1 Chinese "Audiophiler" cap 😜 (those have low ESR but sound "hard" to my old deaf ears)

Just cable ties with screw holes. You can get them at Lowes, partsexpress, etc.

Edit: just realized I didn’t use those last night - you must be asking about these. Don’t cinch very hard, just enough to hold them place. 

https://www.parts-express.com/cable-wire-tie-screw-mount-120-lb-tensile-10-pcs-made-in-usa--080-512

They sound “hard” because they’re poorly made metalized types using recycled film. It’s the same issue I have with cheap Mylars. 

I tore apart one their polypropylene caps not too long ago. I wasn’t impressed. They claim the leads are soldered, they aren’t - which is what I figured, since it’s not possible to do that without damaging the film.

Probably fine for the shunt in the low pass part of the filter.