Single Tuba HT or 2 x Table Tube?

Ray_pierrewit

I'm pricing out my options to include a subwoofer or two to my main system.

Pretty straightforward question: what would be a better solution, a single Tuba HT or two Table Tubas with 10" drivers (Dayton RSS265HF-4)?

Room is 16' x 26'x10', LaScalas corner loaded on the short wall. Music only system, am not looking to have virtual explosions in here, just a stronger foundation in the LF.

Any opinions?

Daniel

Just now, CECAA850 said:

Dual subs give better options for cancelling room issues.

Yes, I've read as much and it is why I'm leaning towards two subs. I know that on the Fitzmaurice forum I've read him say that a Table Tuba isn't really worth it for the LaScalas as it only adds an octave or so, which would be welcome for sure, just wondering if it'll suffice.

I'm not a member of that forum yet, which is why I'm posting here, figure us Klipsch guys are cut from the same cloth, so I value your opinions! 

12 minutes ago, Ray_pierrewit said:

How was the T-18 with the LaScalas? How big was the room?

Bedroom was about 18x20 I'm guessing.  It definitely made a difference for the better.  I never got crazy loud so it kept up fine.  it doesn't go as low as a TT though.

I think this is going to be a compromise either way, and the answer probably depends on the shape of your room. 

Dual subs will always be preferred as they allow you to place them in different locations, cancelling room nodes and giving you a more even frequency response.  In this case, however, there is a trade off (other than the usual trade off, cost).  The Tuba HT is bigger and digs lower.  I have a THT, and it is good right down to about 20hz, give or take.  I think the Table Tuba would be lucky to get down to 30hz, and that is likely at a somewhat lower efficiency.

The questions you need to answer are:  Is 20hz response important to you?  And how good or bad is your room with respect to bass nodes?  Since it is a music only system, 30hz is probably fine, unless you like a lot of hip hop or dubstep (but really, who likes dubstep?), but that is ultimately up to you.

Personally, I would love to have a second THT for the added punch and more even response.  However, THTs are HUGE!!  I have a (mostly) dedicated basement room where my system is and I still don't really have room for another.  Maybe someday when the kids grow up I can commandeer some of their space for a second washing-machine sized sub....

1 hour ago, Ray_pierrewit said:

I'm pricing out my options to include a subwoofer or two to my main system.

Pretty straightforward question: what would be a better solution, a single Tuba HT or two Table Tubas with 10" drivers (Dayton RSS265HF-4)?

Room is 16' x 26'x10', LaScalas corner loaded on the short wall. Music only system, am not looking to have virtual explosions in here, just a stronger foundation in the LF.

Any opinions?

Daniel

As a man who has owned them all, so to speak, you need TWO, Tuba HT Low Profile subs. One in front and one in the rear, with LaScalas. Trust me on this and you will thank me later. The THTLP as the same foot print as a Cornwall, if you stand it up to fire off the ceiling. This is is much smaller than a LaScala footprint. Go big or go home.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

As a man who has owned them all, so to speak, you need TWO, Tuba HT Low Profile subs. One in front and one in the rear, with LaScalas. Trust me on this and you will thank me later. The THTLP as the same foot print as a Cornwall, if you stand it up to fire off the ceiling. This is is much smaller than a LaScala footprint. Go big or go home.

Depends on listening levels.  HT will go lower sure but it's negligible with most music.

• Like 1

I have both the THTLP (Tuba Home Theatre Low Profile) and the TTLS (Table Tuba Long Style).

I would definitely go with the THTLP even if it is only one. I actually have two of them in my main system and since the day I dialed them in I haven't even considered another type of sub since. It's hands down the best sub bass I've ever had.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 wider Table Tuba's.

The standard recommended 10 is all you need, that other driver needs a gasket to mount and will only net you a negligible advantage in output in this design.

Used dozens of that 10 & 12" Dayton classic in other designs with zero problems.

• Like 1

I took Claude's advice and picked up a Behringer A500 (actually three of them) and they are a match made in heaven powering the THTLP as well as the Table Tuba. [emoji106]

• Thanks 1

I built a tuba table to go with my La Scalas (now gone), and it now works with my KG4 living room HT. I have two Cinema F20 subs (which is very similar to the Tuba HT) in my basement system.

I really like the smaller tuba table, but if you have room for the bigger sub you will not regret it. Your system and needs may change over time and the bigger sub will always have that extra low end and a bigger sound as well.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, SWL said:

I took Claude's advice and picked up a Behringer A500 (actually three of them) and they are a match made in heaven powering the THTLP as well as the Table Tuba. emoji106.png

I downsized my Sub power amps as I built more efficient Horn Loaded Subwoofers. Remember, the higher the efficiency, the less power you need and the less distortion you generate. 

• Like 1

I downsized my Sub power amps as I built more efficient Horn Loaded Subwoofers. Remember, the higher the efficiency, the less power you need and the less distortion you generate. 

Works like a dream.....and it's funny because that little Table Tuba replaced (2) 18" EV subs and it just spanks them. The output is just as impressive and the sound quality isn't even close.

These subs just amaze me how well they integrate into the speakers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SWL said:

Works like a dream.....and it's funny because that little Table Tuba replaced (2) 18" EV subs and it just spanks them. The output is just as impressive and the sound quality isn't even close.

These subs just amaze me how well they integrate into the speakers.

Much respect for Bill Fitzmaurice and his designs, along with Jason's building skills.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1