Ringing KP-301 II's? Fixed it!

jlmoore3rd

So, I picked up a gorgeous pair of KP-301 IIs from jstrid (thanks, again!)... But I was a bit unhappy with the sound in the listening room- they sound great in a large space, or outdoors, but I found them initially fatiguing. I also helped a friend buy a pair of Cornwall's from jstrid, and was falling in love with their sound (especially after installing Bob Crite's  B2 crossovers & tweeter kits).

I noticed that when I moved the 301's around the room the metal grills would "ring" when I set them down... Tonight I finally removed them & am thrilled with the change! I'll have to build frames for a set of cloth-covered grills soon, but for now- wow!

The very best 301's I have ever had were older ones with the grill cloth on masonite grille covers. Check to make sure none of the perforated metal grille is touching the sides which will cause problems. Some of them were a tight fit and you had to align them just right to stop annoying noise. A rubber washer in between the grille and the top of the plastic rod standoffs will also help.

Randyh: I think it's not so much the attachment points, as it is the sonic character of the metal grills... if you tap them they ring.

I built wood frames, and covered them with grill cloth... Much more better!

KP301grills.jpg

DISCLAIMER: This is not the listening configuration! It's the storage config... They're waiting to roll out into the room when I'm doing the DJ thing for my wife.

Edited by jlmoore3rd
Disclaimer!
  • Like 1