Klipsh Bar 48 with Surround 3 Speakers - 1 Speaker making a scratching noise occasionaly.

Jaysin86

I have the bar 48 with Surround 3 Speakers. One of my rear speakers (I have it set to the right channel) makes a scratching noise that lasts about 1 second, but only it only happens every few hours.  It happens suddenly and complete out of the blue. Has anyone else ever experienced a similar issue?

I haven't tried any trouble shooting yet like swapping channels with the left speaker and seeing if the speak does the same thing on the other channel, or re-syncing the bluetooth. It'll be hard to trouble shoot so it's very unpredictable.

Is it possible I have 1 defective speaker?

@Jaysin86

If you read through this forum you will see that the BAR 48 has more than its share of issues. The first thing to do is ensure you have updated your BAR 48 firmware. At this time firmware v23/v83a is available depending on your devices serial number.

There are a number of reasons why you may experience this behavior including:

1. You may have a defective speaker.
  2. Some external device may be causing interference to your Bluetooth signal.
  3. The Bluetooth adapter may be defective.
  4. The BAR 48 itself may be defective.

The first thing I would do is swap the left/right surround speakers, change the channel on each, and see what happens. If it still happens on the right speaker it is likely not the speaker. If the scratching noise stays with the same speaker then it is likely a speaker issue.

• 3 months later...

I just received an email from Klipsch Tech support:

A new firmware update has been released for the Bar 48. Please go to www.klipsch.com/firmware and choose Bar 48 in the dropdown menu. Then enter in the serial number for your system and download the firmware update for your system. This update has resolved the low surround volume issue for customers.

Please let us know if this helps.

According to the firmware notes:

Version: v30 (S/N: 106655719280001 - 106655799999999)
Released: 05/15/2020
Region: Global

Bar 48 2.4GHz v30 - Change Log:

• Enhanced volume output from surrounds
  • Removed noise from surrounds in certain use cases.
  • Addressed issue with Bluetooth playback
  • Corrected issue where previous Bluetooth device wouldn't auto connect
  • Misc noise issues on various input switches.

• 5 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Philbear2015 said:

I also am having bad crackling noise from both speakers,tho worse on R rear.I have just opened a ticket at Klipsch and will update as necessary.

Thanks for posting...

I have experienced something similar. It sounds more like a "tweet" that lasts about a half a second and repeats a few times. This happened after updating to the latest firmware but only a couple of times.

I opened my first service request last December and so far have reported a dozen issues. So far, none have been resolved and I have had no feedback that engineering has even looked at them. While a tech support service request is the only way to proceed, don't hold your breath.

Please let the rest of us know if you get any results.

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2020 at 11:41 PM, Kenhugh said:

我有同樣的問題〜當bar-48通電時.Surround-3出現峰值噪聲〜我已經升級了bar-48最新固件,但是沒有用〜我嘗試重新插入Surround-3上的電源線可以恢復正常。

@Kenhugh

Quite a few people have reported issues with their BAR 48. I have tried to address their concerns. This link shows all the BAR 48 posts in the Klipsch Community. If you read through them they should answer your questions.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Olivier Michaud said:

Have you been able to fix this issue?

Hi Olivier,

This is a Community forum. Those of us posting or answering questions about BAR 48 issues are Klipsch customers, like you. We can't fix anything!

If you have registered your product, opened a ticket, and have not yet received a response, I suggest you phone Product Support. You may wait on the phone for an hour but at least you should get a response. 

Another thing to consider is that you opened your ticket only a month ago. It is not unreasonable to expect a response after a month but to put things into perspective I have had a ticket open for nine months. It was a long time before I got a response and while I have recently been corresponding with Product Support on a pretty regular basis, none of my issues have yet been resolved.

19 hours ago, KevinB said:

Hi Olivier,

This is a Community forum. Those of us posting or answering questions about BAR 48 issues are Klipsch customers, like you. We can't fix anything!

If you have registered your product, opened a ticket, and have not yet received a response, I suggest you phone Product Support. You may wait on the phone for an hour but at least you should get a response. 

Another thing to consider is that you opened your ticket only a month ago. It is not unreasonable to expect a response after a month but to put things into perspective I have had a ticket open for nine months. It was a long time before I got a response and while I have recently been corresponding with Product Support on a pretty regular basis, none of my issues have yet been resolved.

Thank you Kevin.  I will follow your advice and give them a call.

• 3 months later...

I am having the same problem.  My rear speakers are just about unusable.  They will sound fine for a while, and then a loud buzzing or screeching noise will come out of one or both speakers.  I am using the latest firmware, V30/V83a, and if anything the latest firmware made the problem much worse.  I certainly wish there was a solution for this issue.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have both the Cinema 600 and Bar 48 sound bars with the Surround 3 speakers pair to each. With the Bar 48 I get an awful screeching noise periodically out of the blue, exclusively out of the right side speaker. As it pertains to the Cinema 600 combo, endless static out of the right speaker. I’ve had Klipsch products for over a decade, even “upgrading” my R-10B and both R-20B’s with the new products….apparently not my best decisions. At least my ProMedia 2.1 set still works.