My new KLF-20s

Greg_M

Ok not new (as you know) but new to me.

Finally found a pair on CL and just got back from buying (stealing) them.

Light Oak.

They are not pristine., but have things I'm pretty sure I can fix up.

The most noticeable thing is that one of the woofers lost it's dust cover and someone glued a smaller dust cover on the cone.

It still works, just looks weird.

I'd probably like to buy one that does not look weird. How much are they new if you can still get them?

I already had a pair of KLF-10s. How different are the woofers from the KLF-10 and KLF-20? Can I just swap one? I see they have different model numbers.

One of the grills is missing it's Klipsch badge. Can these be bought?

They guy I bought them from said he replaced the tweeter domes with Crites units. I can see them looking silvery and shining in there.

The seller gave me the used domes in the Crites boxes, one of them is bad. Can I tell which by putting a VOM on them?

The feet have long since worn away. The two that were partially left look like they are just slip on rubber feet like those on the end of a cane.

They have 1/4-20 threads in them so I can get leveling feet and screw them in. Good idea? Can the original rubber feet be had?

All suggestions/help appreciated.

Thanks

G

I dropped a pair of KLF20 woofers into my Quartets and re tuned the passive radiators. Excellent bass response better than my retuned Forte or Forte 2. I re routed the Quartet baffle to fit the KLF20 woofer bezel but you can simply remove the bezel and it will drop into the factory rebate without any changes.

On 2/7/2020 at 5:21 PM, Greg_M said:

Ok not new (as you know) but new to me.

Finally found a pair on CL and just got back from buying (stealing) them.

Light Oak.

They are not pristine., but have things I'm pretty sure I can fix up.

The most noticeable thing is that one of the woofers lost it's dust cover and someone glued a smaller dust cover on the cone.

It still works, just looks weird.

I'd probably like to buy one that does not look weird. How much are they new if you can still get them?

I already had a pair of KLF-10s. How different are the woofers from the KLF-10 and KLF-20? Can I just swap one? I see they have different model numbers.

One of the grills is missing it's Klipsch badge. Can these be bought?

They guy I bought them from said he replaced the tweeter domes with Crites units. I can see them looking silvery and shining in there.

The seller gave me the used domes in the Crites boxes, one of them is bad. Can I tell which by putting a VOM on them?

The feet have long since worn away. The two that were partially left look like they are just slip on rubber feet like those on the end of a cane.

They have 1/4-20 threads in them so I can get leveling feet and screw them in. Good idea? Can the original rubber feet be had?

All suggestions/help appreciated.

Thanks

G

PM sent

Thanks for writing guys.

I would assume the K-1036-E is the same as K-1036-K sonically. Does Klipsch still have the  K-1036-Es for sale?

I've got some searches going on Ebay for a used original, but given the age of the KLFs they might be getting harder to find.

I think I have come up with a solution for the feet.

I need to take close up of the badge I have, to try to match it.

One thing I did not mention is that someone made off with the coupling straps (on the inputs) and they had been replaced with a couple of wires.

Probably have to use those but it would be nice to have the original straps.

do yourself a favour and check your tweeters. Some of the early KLF were shipped with phenolic tweeter diaphragms which can vary in colour from yellow/brown to red/brown to darkbrown but they are all brownish and hard. All later production KLF were shipped with thin black shiny poly tweeter diaphragms which are perhaps the worst diaphragms klipsch has ever used. If you have the phenolic tweeter diaphragms and you like them you are fine but if you have the black poly ones replace then with Crites titanium diaphragms which are the finest available and the very best sounding.

I should say some people prefer the phenolic to the titanium, reason is ti has a pronounced resonance around 8.5KHz. which is irritating to some people (most don't notice it) if you do not like the ti diaphragms stay with the phenolic they are smooth and sound good if you are not bothered the ti they do provide additional performance beyond the phenolic diaphragms. Well worth your time and money they will significantly improve the SQ of your speakers.