Klipschorn speakers which tube amp?

ng8264723

I'm currently running a Yamaha AX700U amp.  It is a SS integrated amp.  It sounds real nice to my ears but I really want a tube amp.  I bought the speakers from Gary.  He had them running off of Dynaco MKIII's.  They seemed a little overkill.  I was thinking maybe a Dynaco st70.  I can use the Yamaha to power my four ADS on my television.  The horns are amazing and are currently being fed by my computer into the yamaha.  I mostly listen to Pandora and or youtube

Hi,

in new tubes amplifier you can try like Klipsch either CARY Audio or Toolshed Amps

https://www.toolshedamps.com/

Then Leben, Line Magnetic, Manley Stringray, Inspire of Dennis Had... amplifiers have a good reputation with Klipsch Heritage, but there are also others ...

You can contact Cory Harison of Metropolis for expert advice and choose the best amp with your budget.

https://paducahhometheater.com/

• Like 1

I have used the following tube amps with my K-Horns; Latino ST-120, 60 watts/channel push-pull ultralinear, Decware SE-84 single ended, 1.8 watts/channel, Dennis Had Inspire Hot Rod, single ended, 4 watts to 10 watts, depending on tubes. The Dennis Had amp is what I'm currently using, and with 6L6B tubes it is putting out around 6 watts/channel. I cant turn the volume up past half way!

20 hours ago, kevinmi said:

I have used the following tube amps with my K-Horns; Latino ST-120, 60 watts/channel push-pull ultralinear, Decware SE-84 single ended, 1.8 watts/channel, Dennis Had Inspire Hot Rod, single ended, 4 watts to 10 watts, depending on tubes. The Dennis Had amp is what I'm currently using, and with 6L6B tubes it is putting out around 6 watts/channel. I cant turn the volume up past half way!

The OP should consider the Inspire gear, it's a great match, designed by an audio legend, with Heritage speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

Since you don't seem to have a lot of experience, I would urge you to purchase something that is comfortable to your budget and in excellent working condition.  If you are buying used, you should include in your budget some money for having it serviced.  Khorns are insanely efficient and any buzz or hum will be exponentially more annoying than with a traditional box speaker.  The Dynaco designs work well with the Khorn.  I use MK3's and St 35's on mine and I have a few others (Scott 340a, Fisher 400, Decware SE 84, blah blah). 

• Like 1

Dollar for dollar, you'll be hard pressed to beat an ST-70. I have an original Series II and it sounds awesome with horns. The original ST-70's can get a bit mushy, that's what most of the changes made by the series II and Bob Latino's designs address. The big difference is the larger power transformer and increased capacitance of the power delivery circuit. I've replaced preamps, wires, speakers (always Klipsch), and source components, but I've never felt the ST-70 needed replacing.  

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 6:12 AM, Les Lammers said:

The OP should consider the Inspire gear, it's a great match, designed by an audio legend, with Heritage speakers.

Agree I have an Inspire and love it (1100 new) and as previously mentioned toolshed makes awesome stuff and so does amp and sounds, @Schu may be able to help also as he has had a few in his time with La Scala's.

38 minutes ago, MechEngVic said:

Dollar for dollar, you'll be hard pressed to beat an ST-70

Had one of those ... the Latino one with "better" tubes, etc.  Used it on Forte's.  Decent sound, but when I switched (back) to a Marantz 1060/2252B; I was a bit disappointed in it.  It just did not have enough power nor definition. Sold it at a loss on the forum :(  Do not regret my decision :D 

If you base your amp purchase on what someone else prefers you may wind up very disappointed!  The only way to know what will satisfy you is to hear it in your system.  Companies like Decware allow you to return equipment if you are not satisfied.  I don’t know if Bob Latino does the same with amps which his techs have built.  If you state your location there may be forum members nearby who can bring something over for you to try.  Even the Dynaco amps you heard may not produce the same result at your house.  

Maynard

• Like 2

I appreciate all the advice.  I have decided to purchase the MKiii's I heard my speakers on to begin wiht.  They are in great condition and come woith a PAS 2 preamp.  They should make for a nice vintage sound.  I have used the speakers for a while now on the yamaha amp and they sound reall nice.  This should be a cool upgrade.

• 1 month later...

You didn’t mention a budget so I waited to see if you would.  I hope you enjoy your new amplifier, let us know how it sounds to you.  If you continue to look for an amp let us know and give us a budget target it make more focused suggestions. Regards, T