2024 Solar eKlipsch

Edgar

8 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Yep, my Arkansas property is directly in the line of totality. Well over 4 minutes of total darkness at the blue dot.

Dave

Party at Dave's house! :smile:

Seriously, though, I wouldn't dream of volunteering you or anyone else for something like that. But if anyone who's local to SW Arkansas knows of a suitable venue near the center line, it's not too early to start planning.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Yep, my Arkansas property is directly in the line of totality. Well over 4 minutes of total darkness at the blue dot.

Dave2024.thumb.png.542728a2eab478b3f112ea53ed0929d8.png

Hey Dave ... i was in Oregon during the last eclipse and about 30 miles from one of the prime spots. Cheap motels were renting for $800 a day.  Heard stories of people renting their motor homes for premium prices. Set up some campsites and make a small fortune.  

9 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Cheap motels were renting for $800 a day.   

Having witnessed the last one for free at some friends' house near De Soto, Missouri, would I pay $800 to see the next one?

Yeah, I think I would. It's that amazing.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My wife must be right....I'm a moron...  (no comments please lol)

We had the totalality go over our house a couple years ago.  I dragged a chair to the front yard, pulled out my Zeiss binoc's and went through it....  when over, pulled chair inside and was done.  Easy peasy.

It was not however, any event of mystical nor mythical proportions.  It was simply me sitting in the yard while the shadow of the moon blocked out the sun.  I don't get excited when I'm in the shadow of a tree nor my tractor.

Would I grab chair and drag it to front yard if it happened again?  Sure.  Am I going to drive 30 minutes to do it and possibly negotiate some crowds?  Nah.  

So I guess I'm just not feeling it.

That said, if there were some form of event organized for said eclipse I'd have no issue going to the event but it's for the sake of seeing people I know at the event and the eclipse is (for me) just a side show.

Maybe I need more of @oldtimer hot sauce to spice up my life.

29 minutes ago, Coytee said:

It was not however, any event of mystical nor mythical proportions

Different strokes for different folks..... although it is not mystical or magical.... being able to see the corona of the sun while the BLINDING disc of sun's surface is hidden is FREAKING AWESOME...to me. The two that I saw in Mexico were especially spectacular.

BTW when was there a total eclipse over Knoxville?  Never mind---same one that I went to Wyoming to observe---August 2017.

23 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Doubt I could attempt to plan that far out without hurting my brain.

We Saint Louis folks probably don't need to plan. Just drive down I55 until it gets dark.

• Like 1