Klipschorn's with cut off tail boards

Frzninvt

I went to look at a pair of Klipschorn's today and noticed the bottom foot or so of the tail boards had been cut off. Most likely to accommodate some baseboard heaters. How much impact do they have on performance? I assume that they are there for a reason. That said are they there for structural integrity or a reflection of the bass wave. Seems to be a pain to replace them since I would need the dimensions of the missing section which I know are tapered and notched having had pairs in the past. One also has a small notch cut out of the top portion of the top hat which is disappointing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes the previous owner cut the bottom foot or so of the tail boards off. He left the piece they attach to though. Not sure if I'll buy them it depends how much he will haggle down. They are 1964 models that he upgraded at some point to AK-3 functionality with the matching drivers.

I did mention those are made of unobtanium. I would carefully remove it and use the Jubilee pie slices I have. He is asking $2500 in store and on Craigslist. I might offer $1750 they are in a crowded building with lots of overpriced vintage gear in a place that is tough to get in and out of. The 13" of snow we got in the last two days doesn't help.

1 hour ago, JohnA said:

Where's the pic of the Ducati???!!!!!!!

John he had so much stuff piled around it I could only see the top portion of it I don't even know what model it was.  It looked like a smaller on.

Any idea if the sawed off tailboard impacts performance in any way?

John he had so much stuff piled around it I could only see the top portion of it I don't even know what model it was.  It looked like a smaller on.

Any idea if the sawed off tailboard impacts performance in any way?

Yes it will have a negative impact on the low end sound , that board is there to help seal the horn path with the wall.
in later models they came with a rubber gasket for sealing it to the wall. It should be a easy fix. Just tack a peace of wood on the inside in a way that it would seal it to the wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do have the rubber seals that came with the AK-3 upgrade kit but they are just dangling since there is nothing to slide them onto at the bottom. I probably will just pass and stick with my La Scala's. I have had a couple of pairs of Klipschorn's in the past and I don't think I am going to be missing much other than some low end response but that is what my subwoofers are for.