Classical music?

nitrofan

So I've mainly listened to classic rock my whole life,  with a little folk rock thrown in. But I want to find some classical music I might like. Right before the final fight in John Wick 3 a song plays that I loved, but didn't know the name of. Turns out it's a cover of Vivaldi's "winter" Can anyone recommend similar songs that I might find enjoyable? Thank you for any suggestions. 

• Like 1

The Four Seasons, of which "winter" was only one of the four...(turn it up a bit to hear the full music dynamics):

J.S. Bach's Brandenburg Concertos

Just a couple of well-known compositions.

Chris

• Like 2

I might add that classical music in particular really comes alive when using lossless sources (i.e., not YouTube videos), such as CDs, DVD-As, DVD-Vs, SACDs, and Blu-Ray.  There are also lossless downloads like from HDmusic, Linn, and others offering lossless music streaming and downloads. Strings sound a bit strident when listening to lossy formats (all lossy formats).

Also, dynamic range is more important with classical sources, and your Klipsch loudspeakers are uniquely suited to reproducing dynamics:

Ave Dynamic Range by Genre.PNG

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I know that there was a pretty magical effect that came into play last May when I discovered the effect that phase flattening has in loudspeakers having full-range directivity (like the OP's La Scalas).

TAD TD-4002 Jubilee (Red Trace) vs. Danley SH-50 (Green Trace) Phase.jpg

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/182419-subconscious-auditory-effects-of-quasi-linear-phase-loudspeakers/&do=findComment&comment=2380538

Chris

• Like 1

NPR will have some "lists" of must have selections of classical music. Followed by a trip to the local library, then you can get familiar with the various eras and formats.

For instance what you mentioned was chamber music from the Baroque era. There is a wealth of stuff out there and the library is your friend. They may not have the best recording of a particular piece, but it will get you oriented on what is ultimately a very enjoyable journey. 

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 1

I believe that Wikipedia is much easier to access for the information portion of classical music:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_music

Listening to the music itself at a library is only useful in a tangential way, as the reproduction quality of the headphones used in most libraries is not set up for hi-fi listening.  I recommend YouTube on your setup instead.  Most of the music is there already, and you can Google composition names and composers as you search through the Wikipedia article(s) to find the compositions much quicker and at higher fidelity than a library will have (generally speaking).

Chris

• Like 2

If you want to test those subs with something very accessible, try the E. Power Biggs, The Philadelphia Orchestra, Eugene Ormandy, Camille Saint-Saëns ‎– Saint-Saëns Organ Symphony." In my case, a life changer. PWK played it for me in his listening lab, which is now the museum, about 1972 from a 15ips R2R on an Ampex 350 console deck. By pure chance, I found it among his R2R archive when I was asked to archive the collection to digital. If the descending C major scale at the end doesn't ring your chimes and rearrange your china cabinet I suggest just sticking with classic rock. 

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1