Classical music?

nitrofan

Perhaps useful to mention that in my early 20s, as my tastes began to broaden in classical music, I had a sudden realization that has proven true. Truly great music is a matter of growing into it. Stuff that has stood the test of centuries HAS to be great, so if one doesn't like it just leave it be, but keep it around. I purchased music decades ago I didn't care for, then put it on later and suddenly it was wonderful. 

Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This thread contains an incredibly rich and well informed discussion IMO. Some of the recommendations such as The Planets should demand  your early attention. 

Two composers to give special attention to are Beethoven and Tchaikovsky— Beethoven in particular never fails to draw that attention, in almost any setting. YouTube is a GREAT site for classical music because it has overwhelming opportunities to both WATCH and LISTEN to well performed great work. 

I suggest Beethoven‘s symphonies 3, 4, 5, and 9,  Schumann’s 2 and 3,  Tchaikovsky’s 4, 5, and 6, Dvorak ‘s 8 and 9, and Orff’s Carmina Burana. 

When searching YouTube, look for thumbnails showing actively playing orchestras and performers and not static album covers. 

OK — take it from there!!!  Good luck!

Larry

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 2:45 PM, Mallette said:

If you want to test those subs with something very accessible, try the E. Power Biggs, The Philadelphia Orchestra, Eugene Ormandy, Camille Saint-Saëns ‎– Saint-Saëns Organ Symphony." In my case, a life changer. PWK played it for me in his listening lab, which is now the museum, about 1972 from a 15ips R2R on an Ampex 350 console deck. By pure chance, I found it among his R2R archive when I was asked to archive the collection to digital. If the descending C major scale at the end doesn't ring your chimes and rearrange your china cabinet I suggest just sticking with classic rock. 

Dave

E Power Biggs for best rendition of Toccata in D Minor I have ever heard. The right recording of Vivaldi Cello right behind it. Here is an organ I wish I could find more music for.  This one is going to SWAG and let me tell you it is fabulous. I think I will go out and play it again shortly. Enrico Dindo has a Cello from the early 1700's and the tone is perhaps my favorite of all the Cellos i have heard.

• Like 1

OUTSTANDING! Truly the king of instruments. The most complex machines built  by humans before the computer. But unlike computers good forever when maintained. Looking forward to hearing this one, @Dave A. As to performances of the T&F in D minor, agreed on Biggs but must add the completely differnent and stunning performance by Virgil Fox on the legendary Crystal Clear direct to disc. If I bring a TT I may bring that one. Have it in DSF I recorded as well so it will be there if I am.

Dave

Adding to all this. I am finding with the S-MWM my tastes are changing and classical is getting more and more of my time. So many subtleties and powerful sweeping bass and love for what correct playing of stringed instruments like Cellos and Double Bass sounds like. Just so much more than the R&R which it is displacing.

8 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Adding to all this. I am finding with the S-MWM my tastes are changing and classical is getting more and more of my time. So many subtleties and powerful sweeping bass and love for what correct playing of stringed instruments like Cellos and Double Bass sounds like. Just so much more than the R&R which it is displacing.

Congratulations.  Being on stage with same I never realized others had no idea.

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

percussionist, once by trade.  I have extensive experience with sound from a first person perspective.  I'm not disputing anything you say, just commenting on perspective.  Like I said, it is great when someone has that epiphany of how awesome music can be.

True and until now I did not know what I was missing. OK where can I find good Timpani music? I want thunderous rolls to feed my S-MWM's with.