Classical music?

nitrofan

13 hours ago, Dave A said:

Carmina Burana   I made it through about 20 seconds of the chorus as that is really not my cup of tea. The thing I am looking for would be focused on drums and not having drums as a small part of the overall music.

I got your drums right here.  Animusic.  The tympani's will arrive shortly.

• Haha 1

Yeah; the baroque period gave us some of the greatest composers and compositions EVER. Have to mention Bach, Vivaldi, Handel, Purcell, Telemann, many others. Interesting jazz variations by Jacques Loussier ...

OK; some "later" stuff you might enjoy. Of course "Alle Menschen werden Bruder" ... Final chorus of Beethoven's 5th, Ode to Joy.  Play it as LOUD as possible :D  ... only way to really enjoy it :)  Try Tchaikovsky  (prefer the 1st violin concerto played by Perlman).

For something a little more modern, try the "Grand Canyon Suite" by Grofe. Have a version by Erich Kunzell, Cincinnatti Pops Orchestra,  which has "thunderstorm effects" mixed in on the last track called "Cloudburst." Haha ... amazing on "good" speakers. :D 

• Like 1

You want interesting timpani parts? Go to Uranus in The Planets, scored for 6 timpani with 2 players.  Each one is tuned to a different note, thus encompassing most of an octave and some remarkable rhythmic and melodic passages on the timpani alone.  I recommend two Youtube videos to see and hear this remarkable movement -- BBC Proms from, I believe, 2009 (you can see the entire work, well worth it)

Berlioz was a remarkable innovator on all instruments, and you can see amazing use of many timpani both forte and piano, in his Requiem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWU7T9zYEks

There is an excellent DVD conducted by Colin Davis in the Regensburg cathedral.

The whole requiem is well worth watching/hearing.

Larry

• Like 2

Strauss: Also sprach Zarathustra    The opening music in 2001: A Space Odyssey. It starts with a sustained double low C on the double basses, contrabassoon and organ. Too low for my K-Horns to do much with but a pair of Vifa bass reflex boxes in my Sydney home can rattle the windows.

This would be as good as any recordings - https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7930694--strauss-also-sprach-zarathustra                            

To REALLY get the full impact of the timpani and brass in the Berlioz Requiem, please focus down specifically in the previous Youtube excerpt to minutes 20:22 to 27:00!  This is a much shorter segment than what I gave everyone before, and gives a fuller impact. The excerpt below repeats the link, but lets you go right to the desired passage;  

Just skip to min. 20:22.

I'm very much a believer in live performance passages you can see as well as hear.  Some other links in this thread are just static pictures which don't tell as good a story.  That's why I give you the more live links such as the following.  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!   -- Larry

• Like 1

What Beethoven recommendations do you have in mind?  Beethoven had a lot of amazingly well-judged timpani parts (of course) but Berlioz for one reached well beyond him as did Wagner and Dvorak (8th, 9th symphonies).  I just didn't have time to to search out the Wagner examples. Listen to the first movement of the Dvorak 8th -- I suggest Honeck and the Pittsburgh SO.

For an even more mind-blowing visual and sonic package, go to the brief storm movement of Richard Strauss's Alpine Symphony, which features incredible brass array, a wind-machine,  and thunder-machine (sheets of tin) and a huge orchestra in general:

Incredible. -- Larry