1979 LaScala v 2019 Forte III

MarinO

I think you'll have to spend some time with the Forte IIIs.  I like them, but I'm keeping my '81 La Scalas and 4 subs. 

While you're listening spend some time with a pair of Heresy IVs placed a foot or 2 from the corners.   

Welcome to the forum!

If you can get a nice "fast" subwoofer, or two, to add to the La Scalas, that might be better.  The Forte IIIs are probably as good as a speaker with direct radiator woofers can be, but with La Scalas crossing over to a sub, at, say 80 Hz you will have horn loaded, low distortion sound down to that region, and a sub below.

But then again, who knows?

It would be good to hear your La Scalas and a good sub cheek by jowl with some Forte III.

Thank you so far for the options. 
my room is big enough to carry the La Scalas 

(19x25).  A friend just picked up the Forte iii and I really liked the sound but his listening area is much smaller. 

I do not currently have a sub connected to my system. Any suggestions in the area?

i have a pair of Hersey iii in my bedroom and love that sound. 

Will your friend bring the Forte III's over for a comparison of sound in your larger room?  If so, you would know pretty quick what you thought.  Hard to beat the efficiency of the horn loaded speakers.  I built a pair of Belle clones and felt some things were lacking until I hooked up a sub with them.  Even if it is a lowly Sunfire HRS-12, it gives me the low end that the Belle and LS don't produce for music where I would rather hear it.  If I don't, I just turn it off.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, glens said:

I've got Forte III.  Would love to have some LaScalas, but for the venue there's no way.  The Fortes meet all my expectations with plenty of headroom to spare.  Don't need subs, either, with them.

Room size and distance back are big determining factors. I do all of my listening upstairs now, so I would rather have Fortes or the Classic 100s than the LaScalas.

3 hours ago, Deang said:

I would rather have Fortes or the Classic 100s than the LaScalas.

I would still love to hear the Classic 100s (still listen to my 4311s in my living room... they need a little work, but still very listenable). I'm sure the Forte IIIs sound great in the right spot, too.

On 2/11/2020 at 3:59 PM, Deang said:

Have no idea what that means. 

Well, if I MUST explain it....  (then it was  pretty stupid to begin with!)

My vision was your  stuff banished to the basement....  however, she has now lovingly allowed you to bring it "upstairs' (to the main floor)....  in her diabolical plans to keep it moving right out the front door and onto the curb.....and out of her house.

Just trying to describe what some spouses on this forum might feel however, I don't want to throw mine under the bus......

Ah, I see. Well, the obnoxious system is still in the basement. It’s where the kids hang out with friends and where my workroom is. It’s where the LaScalas used to be, and to be honest, as much as I liked them, I didn’t listen to them much. 

I’ve always had a system on the 2nd floor, which is basically the bedroom. The house is a cape cod style, so while the room isn’t huge, it’s certainly bigger than most bedrooms. It’s a modest system, but the one I’ve always enjoyed listening to the most: Radian 8” coaxials mounted in a cubic foot ported cabinet and a SVS sb2000. 55” Samsung which now seems kind of dated I guess, but has a great picture. It’s enough. 

The main floor has too much traffic and noise for a system. Deb wouldn’t care if I put something in there, but I don’t want anything in there, I would never use it. I’ve got three teens in the house plus grandkids. IEMs are a real blessing!

Any new set would go upstairs. Ain’t gonna lie, but I’m feeling very Klipsched out these days.