Affordable single ended tube amp

charbuggie

Looking to experiment a little with a single ended tube amp on a K402 horn with radian drivers.  Like to try a 300B because of all the good I have read about this tube.  Can anyone make a recommendation on an affordable one to try?  Not wanting to go overboard on this purchase until I see what it is like...

I generally do not shill my own sales but I have a Dennis Had single ended amp w/volume pot currently in the Garage Sale.

A simple yet high quality, extremely quiet entry to single needed tubes. And yes, this amp plays nicely with Klipsch Heritage (LS1) and Jubilees w/402 and Faital driver. Eight to ten watts depending on output tube. $850

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Alex_San said:

Very good value in that amp. Are you sure it can run kt-150?

Yes. I've exchanged a few emails with the owner regarding KT-150s, and they work fine in the latest model, as well as the higher priced amps.

Edited by pcbiz

The MP-301 is a great sounding little amp for the money.  Be aware of a few caveats though.  One, it is SEP, not SET, if that matters to you.  The plus side is it can take a LOT of different tube types, and they do sound different from one another.  It is thus excellent for tube rolling and exploring different sounds.  The downside is that (according to some) it is lacking in the "true SET magic" that you would get from a 2a3 or 300m tube type.

The biggest downside, however, is that they are a bit on the noisy side.  I had to tweak quite a bit to get mine quiet enough to use with my stock La Scalas, and even still, it had noticeable hum and buzz to it.  It was quiet enough to use,  but far from silent.  When I went to an active setup and wired it directly to a compression driver with no passive crossover in the circuit, the noise became totally unbearable.  I had to replace the amp with something quieter (a Latino ST70 in my case).

There are some mods out there that are supposed to help considerably with this.  In fact, I have purchased the components to try this, but I have not gotten around to firing up the soldering iron yet.  See here: 

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/musical-paradise-mp301mk3-mods.4386/

and here:

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=45210

All in all, not bad for under $500, just don't expect perfection.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:43 AM, richieb said:

I generally do not shill my own sales but I have a Dennis Had single ended amp w/volume pot currently in the Garage Sale.

A simple yet high quality, extremely quiet entry to single needed tubes. And yes, this amp plays nicely with Klipsch Heritage (LS1) and Jubilees w/402 and Faital driver. Eight to ten watts depending on output tube. $850

+1 A quality American amp but by an audio legend that can use quite a few different tubes. 

13 hours ago, xoundmind said:

On the subject of single ended amps, any recommendations on a kit? A common one seems to be Douk, but have some reservations after reading various threads around the web.

thanks 

There are a lot of quality kit tube amps. Personally, I'd pass on the inexpensive Chinese offerings. Here is a good place to start. https://www.vkmusic.ca/ and https://bottlehead.com/