Friends, Ruminants & Contrarians...

HornEd

...this past year has been more tolerable for not only do I have Klipsch speakers... but I have had the support of Klipsch enthusiasts... even some who work for Klipsch. For you Newbies, I have had the distinct pleasure of achieving "No Life" while attempting to give my honest opinion... no matter how errant that may be. While participating in the Northern California Renaissance Faire, I made a decision to build a national company (something to which I am not a stranger) involved in building an understanding by local communities of the global perspectives of peace and well being that sprung from this period of European culture. Well, at least compared to the Dark Ages that preceeded it... and the general ignorance of the worthwhile contributions of the Eastern Hemisphere.

Sadly, my plans were at least interrupted by yet another hospitalization. For what it is worth, my zeal for Klipsch has been somewhat eclipsed by the necessity of staying alive. My too long absence from the Klipsch Forum is not a lack of enthusiasm for such a unique commercially sponsored sounding board... but rather a struggle to be able to make a computer function. For someone who once led a think tank to solve problems for Fortune 500 companies and various U.S. governmental agencies... such failure is hard to countenance.

For you Newbies, I am the old reprobate who loves horns, built a center channel that was equal to my mains... which were equal to my side surrounds and rear effects speakers. There is a home theater that is made of eight Legend Klipsch speakers plus a pair of SVS Ultra subwoofers stacked in a 7' column. My music system is anchored by Klipschorns and a Belle with Cornwalls as surrounds and an Academy as a rear effects speaker. My motorhome is replete with Synergy Klispch... includng some acoustics forgiving WDST speakers. In my travels, many people have heard their first Klipsch in my motorhome. Ah, the shame of it all! Okay, so I am not as "modern" as I could be with the Seven series... but my weary ear is still listening for a time to change. I prefer multiple full range identical speakers rather than big mains, small center and WDST surrounds... but fortunately, that puts more dollars in the Klipsch Corporate pocket... not less. I know to some that makes me a heretic... but , if so, that's better than no tic at all.

Unfortunately, I was wearing my Official Klipsch polo shirt and carrying a goblet of wine when the last emergency hospitalization occured. The result, other than spending out of pocket more than a pair of Klipschorns was that my treasured Klipsch polo shirt now has a splotches of quality Cabernet Sauvignon about it. Somehow, Rit doesn't seem like the right answer. The good news is that the gash I suffered in the fall is healing very well in three weeks... when a similar gash suffered over a year ago has finally healed. That means that the health regimin that I have devised seems to be working... if I can just stay functional to prove its validity. I have spent this past year more focused on finding better proactive control of type 2 diabetes and people prone to fall into prolonged periods of ventricular tachycardia.

The type 2 diabetes needs vigorous exercise... which percipitates the ventricular tachycardia (vtac). Vtac is what triggers the alarms on most cardiac monitors. The next degradation needs a crash cart in two minutes or its PWK here we come. Sadly, within hours of my admission to a hospital, the frequent ringing of the alarm causes patients and staff to be ill at ease. The solution is that they turn off the alarm on my heart monitor and assure me that the nurse in the nurses station will be watching my monitor and sound the alert if my heart rythmn changes for the worst. Well, I believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny... but I have to draw the line at how much I can expect a busy nurse to do.

One area that seems to work well is the decision of not to eat when my blood glucose measures over 120 mg/dL. Many positive things have occured since I made the decision to amend the advice of the doctors and nutritionists to follow the simple maxim to not eat more when there is already a backlog of available glucose in my bloodstream. To my fellow diabetics I say ask your doctor if it makes sense to add food to a food distribution system that has a corrosive backlog of potential energy. Hey, I understand that this is not horns & amps, but this is the "general" category which seemed close enough to allow some "private" comments.

There is much I would like to do before I make my last entry on this board. I would like to send cluless a finished version of a "wet *****" photo for an avatar. That drenched feline photo is the best cross between "clu" and "less" that I have been able to fathom. I appreciate the character and perspective that the sage cluless has brought to this pack of tetosterone packing web-slingers. There are so many that I would like to acknowledge... and, perhaps, so little time.

No one should forget the store of knowledge of Klipsch, the speaker, and Klipsch, the person, that the 'builder has brought us from his stint in Hope. And how about the steadfast peace innitiatives that "Boa" has brought... even though his avatar does not truly bespeak his "boa" heritage. And the clever turn of phrase that is the "fini" for all seasons... or at least that is what Mrs. fini seans to be trying to sew into her ultimate quilt. And to all the Forum Folk from whom I have bought over two dozen Klipsch speakers... thank you for being who you are and, not to worry, I have bought more Klipsch speakers from authorized dealers than I have from Forum Folk. Again, I am multi-blessed for having stumbled upon this Forum.

And how many "sound forums" would likely have a person like Lynn to pick up the pieces of ones computer after the dreaded Klez virus had run its course... and ate up the antivirus software in its 100n gigabyte orgy? Yes, my fellow Forum Folk, this is a place to be treasured and a place to be ever thankful to the Klipsch poweres that be.

How can I not feel special when my plans to gather with the faithful at Hope last year was denied by another hospitalization... but magically not one, but two, autogaphed copies of PWK's biography showed up in my mail box. I am most indebted to the person responsible for such an act of educative kindness... and I refrain from mentioning his name out of respect for the non-publicity seeking person I know him to be. I can only say that PWK knew him to be special even more than I.

While I have gone a round or two with TheEar(s), I have learned to respect him for his knowledge, experience and penchant for privacy. Oh, and many a time the Keith I learned early on to call friend has found fault with my right to an opinion... and perhaps I, too, have been too testy in my retort. I respect you more than you know, Keith. And, certainly, BobG and his cohorts have taken my justifiably to task a time or three... but that is what the Klipsch Forum is all about... an opportunity for all of us to learn and grow... no matter what it says under our respective avatars. Oh, yes, and there is a reason that we all say call "Trey" if your old dog speaker has more bite than bark.

I have been priveleged to watch this forum take on political, ethical and religious questions with better style and grace than I have seen on any other website. What place does religion, ethics and politics have on a sound Forum you may ask? We who have spent tens of thousands of dollars on the basis of what we read in this Forum have gotten much of the confidence from the character of religious, political and ethical viewpoints that underly their "sound" opinions.

I cannot be sure how much I can participate on the Forum from here on out... but, sorry Keith, my desire is to be back with regular comments. According to the docs, I am closer to joining our illustrious hero, PWK, than I really want to be. Not that it isn't a potential honor, but it is one that I had hoped to forstall awhile. But know you well, that as long as I can take a breath, my thoughts are with this Forum. Not a big deal, perhaps, but it is all the deal that I have.

There is something about the Klipsch Forum that is universal in spirit and refreshing in content. May it ever be so. Thanks to all who have added to my quality of life on this Forum... you are much honored in this humble mind and appreciated for participating. I shall try for more later... -HornEd

My appologies for any typos, I have taxed my abilities beyond the spell checker just now.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey welcome back horned! we missed you. & thank you for the kind words.

we were trying to remember on another thread if the C7 horn in its natural state radiates more vertically or horizintal. i thought, & it looks to me, that it radiates more vertically. i thought that's why you turned your c7 speakers (not the horns) vertical for FE - so the horns then radiate more horizontally.

hope you are healthy & happy. cheers!

C'mon Ed-

Me-thinks the Swan Song is a bit premature. You still have empires to build, castles to topple, neophytes to initiate, a ton of pearls to cast before swine, and more than a few clues to offer the truly cluless. LOL.

I have every confidence that you will conquer and overcome the beasties that plague you now. Yeah the human body is fragile, but the spirit, is indomitable, and hey! you are loved! what more could anyone ever ask for.

Carol,Clu and Less.

I was wondering what has become of you, there HornED. I figured you were just busy with the Rennaisance Faire business, but sad to hear it is more to do with health issues. I can only pray for and wish good health to you.

I also want to take this oppurtunity to say thank you for your advice. You just may have save me some serious money and heartache in the long run. Although, I do agree with your opinion of going with the exact same speaker all the way around, but in my case, the RF-7s, RS-7s and RC-7s together works perfectly for me. I'd love to have 6 RF-7s, but I just simply do not have the space and money right now for such a thing (although, I think I may be able to fit another pair of RF-7s as surround here. I'll have to measure.)

BTW, we used to have a fairly large rennesaince faire here in Fredericksburg, VA - I drive by the faire grounds everyday to work. Unfortunatly, it went out of business. Mis-management and three years in a row of bad weather just killed it. The facilities are still there and had been up for sale for 2.1 million dollars. It is built in, I kid you not, Sherwood Forest! That is the actual name of the farm that was bought when it was built.

I would have loved to turn it into a more traditional amusement park, but could not get up the funding and interest to pull it off, not to mention it would have recieve some pretty stiff competition from Paramounts Kings Dominion only 35 miles south of here and Six Flags America, just 50 miles north. I wanted to offer a more family oriented, traditional type park, as opposed to the big theme parks, Ala PKD, SFA, or even Busch Gardens Williamsburg, about 100 miles away or so.

So, the deal is you need to exercise to keep the diabetes in check (how's your legs and eyes?), but the exercise has the potential of flat out stopping your heart. That's nice.

You need to walk three miles a day. It's the only thing you can do and still keep your heart rate down. Get yourself a walkman and headphones, and hit the road! You ought to be able to crank off three miles in a little over an hour. Hopefully, you still have use of your legs.

Did you know eating turkey lowers your heart rate?

HornEd,

Welcome back,good to hear from you again.

You know you are one of the few forum members I read every post,you add alot to this board.A colorful individual you are and all like you here.

Dean's idea of a good walk each day should be good for you.I am no doctor or very informed in medicine but I can say DONT GIVE UP AND FIGHT,the mind can do wonders.Keep the spirit high,in times like these a good spirit can take you to better times.

As you can see HornEd I am not a great speller or morale booster but I wish you well,and get better fast.

OHornEdOne,

It is very nice to see a post from you again! I must say you have been quite missed here. If not for you, and the Q-Man, I would not be surrounded by an all heritage HT. Your willingness to communicate and voice your opinion in both an elequent and peaceful way, have greatly contributed to the success and attitude of this board. I am grateful for your past posts, and look forward to what you have to offer us in the future. Thanks, your a class act!

Boa, no one seems to cover this Forum as well as you do! Yes, the dispersion factor of the KLF C-7 was a factor in choosing them for front effects speakers in my HT. Of course, the closeness of their timbre match to KLF 30's was an even greater incentive. In my understanding, Front Effects speakers should expand the sound stage with an ethereal quality and the C-7's do that splendidly. The C-7 has a wider vertical dispersion pattern when placed horizontally for use as a center channel... thus I place them vertically to achieve a wider FE dispersion. -HornED

Ed-

I can possibly understand where youre coming from here. As you already know I have Type I Diabetes. Fortunately my job affords me exercise and the diet is on my shoulders. I would also like to say that I might have a slightly different perspective on this than most others. To say that we all will pass on to the unknown other-side is inevitable. Not knowing when, where or how is probably left best in bliss. But you and I have one thing in common, the "how" is something we already know. Although it may not be the disease itself but one of the many fledgling problems that are a result of it. Heart disease, kidney failure, cancer, myopathy (blindness), nerve damage, increased time for healing of wounds, amputations, et al. are all things we now have to worry about.

Having this condition is the prime reason why I decided never to have children of my own. As you know Diabetes is hereditary and I don't wish to burden my children with a "punishment" when they did nothing to deserve it.

As this post is being put to electronic medium I cannot deny the lyrics of "Old Friends" from Art Garfunkel's "Angel Clare" album.

EDIT-- I later realized that "Old Friends" is not on the Angle Clare album but on Simon & Garfunkel's "Bookends".

Thanks, cluless, I needed that. As a recluse, I am not very close to anyone but I do try to reach out and make a difference from time-to-time. I am currently locked in a battle that requires some non-standard solutions derived from recent medical research. My attempts to implement them requires some risk. On balance, I have progressed well and continue to press the envelope. Unfortunately, pressing the envelope sometimes means finding myself once again in the hospital. The good side is that with each pushing of the envelope I am able to share new insights with the medical community. While survival on this planet may be a crapshoot, maybe I can make a difference for the millions of folks who either have the disease that affects me... or the millions more that will soon have it. Between the effects of the disease and the amount of time that I must spend in harnessing diverse medical research into a cohesive plan of action. I am not lacking in resolve... just the physical strength to make it happen.

The Klipsch Forum in general, and many of its members in particular, have helped me create sound systems that have helped stimulate senior citizens into an improved quality of life regimen. Fortunately, you don't have to be a senior citizen to benefit from the Joy of Klipsch. It gets a little lonely on the front lines I choose to patrol... but the encouragement of a Jersey friend makes a difference in many Klipsch Forum lives. Thanks for being there, clu, less & Carol.

Skonopa, what ever I may have done to help your situation is merely a continuation of passing on the spirit of so many Forum Members and Staff that have helped me in my sound journey. While I have other battles to fight first, I have instructed my attorneys to form a couple of corporations that will be involved with promoting educationally solid Renaissance Faires across the country... and providing a better working environment for those who are vendors, players, administrators or workers in faires. I am well familiar with the pattern that has taken down well intended faires such as the one in Virginia. Obviously, the proximity to the highly successful Maryland faire can be as formidable as several years of bad weather.

I am not familiar with the failed faire in Virginia and wonder about it's size. I may be interested in exploring its possibilities sometime next year if my current efforts are successful. A successful Renaissance faire can produce in excess of $5 million dollars a year... and that is precisely what the Texas Renaissance Festival made in NET PROFITS last year. The owner put half of it in his pocket and reinvested the balance in the faire. Few people realize it but many of the prevelant Western values held today were formed during the Renaissance. -HornED

HDBRbuilder, I still believe that you have an interesting Klipsch book rambling in that brain of yours. You ought to do us all a favor and at least assemble all your posts... and some of the insights into the Klipsch history that you have discussed with me over the phone. You have a first hand perspective, a solid work ethic, and the keen insight to bring a lot of value to more people than you might realize. I know it is hard to say the same things over and over... but let's face it, new folks are coming on board to this Forum all the time, and they haven't read your contributions of the past year. So, keep it up, with each redundancy your writing skills seem to improve. Carry on. -HornED

Deang, thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I am allergic to a protein in fowl so turkey is out... along with chicken, eggs, and pheasant under glass! Although recent tests show that I have had over ten years of neuropathy eating away at my legs I try to walk as much as I can despite the pain. Depending on the terrain, walking half the distance you suggest will generally put me into a ventricular tachycardia bout... that can last for days on end. My frequent hospitalizations over the past two years have often been caused by my trying to push the envelope beyond my physical abilities. There are a whole kaboodle of negative side effects that come with exercise in my case... but non-exercise is a clear invitation to disaster. I shall try my best to get the job done and thanks for caring, my friend. -HornED

Thanks Ear(s), you have been an inspiration to me for a long time... in a way that reaches deeper than all your subwoofers put together. I miss not being on top of the Klipsch Forum scene... but you can be sure that I am not one to give up... I just know that I am not likely to be as active on the Forum as I would like to be for awhile. I am way behind on answering my Forum related email. To all those to whom I have not yet responded... I am peddling as fast as I can. And Ear(s), I believe your writing and helpfulness has continued to improve over the last year. Keep up the good work. I may not always agree with you but I know you come by your opinion honestly. -HornED

Veni Vidi Vici -Cesar "I Came, I Saw, I Conquered"

Good one Ranger

HornED. You are an asset here! My mother has T2 Diabetes and it really caught up with her about 2 years ago, but she is back on her feet and doing great.

By the way, guess who FINALLY got some heritage speakers? ME! Nothing compared to what you have, but some day...

Get well, stay well, post often.

Ye Garrards and little Fishers, DillonW, my hero Q-man can handle that kind of lofty praise... but how will I maintain my objectivity? Seriously, anytime someone acts on getting into the Heritage scene it makes me smile. I certainly burned a lot of cash in less beneficial areas before I joined the Klipsch Forum... and helping out others like I have been helped just seems to be the right thing to do. And, from reading your posts, I know you are keeping up that tradition. Sure, like I told the builder up above, sometimes it gets fairly mundane and repetitive but the power of this board is to feed the Newbies the best formulas we can. -HornEd