RP-600M's and subwoofer matching

bluesman1960

Greetings All! I have a pair of 600M's arriving today that I scored at a nice price. Admittedly, the internet hype(Steve Guttenburg) got me excited to try a pair. I will have a mini-shoot-off with my current PSB AlphaT20's, small floor standers and outstanding in their own right. Anyway, from my research I suspect I will need a sub to augment the 600M's in my studio style loft apartment. I ask, what subwoofer pairings have been a good match for you folks? I'm not a home theater nut, music first for me. Amp, is a Yamaha A-S801 and budget preferably under $500.00 and used is also welcome.

Thanks!

Dan

Got the 600M's set up and am quite impressed, especially with the bass. It doesn't plumb the bottom octaves however what is there is tight and tuneful. Makes me wonder if I need a sub and all the set up issues to get it right. I do recall owning a sub years ago called Speedwoofer I think, paired it with MMG's. I remember it being fast and musical and a great value. Hmmmm. The used market is alive as well....

10 minutes ago, bluesman1960 said:

Got the 600M's set up and am quite impressed, especially with the bass. It doesn't plumb the bottom octaves however what is there is tight and tuneful. Makes me wonder if I need a sub and all the set up issues to get it right. I do recall owning a sub years ago called Speedwoofer I think, paired it with MMG's. I remember it being fast and musical and a great value. Hmmmm. The used market is alive as well....

I hear you.

My much larger RB-75s are beasts for "bookshelf" speakers and can seriously thump the bass on their own.  With that said, adding my Klipsch RSW-10d to the bottom end made them complete and easily able to mimic my very punchy RF-63s.

Bill

• Thanks 1

I'd check out these subs: SVS pb12-nsd (400W rms, 18-150hz +/-3db). It's a older model, but you can still buy it new for $500 on Amazon, and at the svs subwoofer outlet. The new model rls speedwoofer 10S (350W rms, 24-200hz +/-3db) is available for $400. Then there's Klipsch spl100 (200W rms, 27-125hz +/-3db) is on sale for $459, and as a "scratch & dent" for $384 at "Crutchfield". There's also "scratch & dent" Klipsch spl120 (300W rms, 24-125hz +/-3db) at "Crutchfield" for $471, and NIB for $551.

Just a few more options to look at .

Edited by Ron DB
Corrections
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2020 at 2:40 PM, bluesman1960 said:

Thanks for the info.! Leaning towards the Speedwoofer but am still scouring the used market. Plus, still tweaking placement of the 600M's. Can't seem to zero in on the toe-in if any....

For my setup with the RP-600M I have them toe in at about 5 degrees, works very well with the listening position at about 3 meters and the RP-600M 's and about 2/3 feet away from the back wall. I have them combined with a subwoofer, which in my eyes is not getting the attention it deserves, a new Jamo S810. The spec's say it is only 75 watt RMS and 150 watt max, 36Hz - 180 Hz, with a class D amplifier. But it stands it's own in my setup at I use it with -10Db on my receiver and the LFE on 120Hz. I don't know the price in the USA, but in Europa I bought it recently brand new for 200 Euro's, which is about 216 Dollar.

• Thanks 1