La Scala on Carpeted & Suspeded Wooden Floor??

Robbie010

Good Evening all,

I was wondering if anyone has experience of using La Scala on suspended wooden floors with carpet??

All being well, I will soon be installing my La Scala clones, which has got me thinking about the best way to isolate / couple / decouple them. Although the wooden floor beneath the carpet is suspended, it feels fairly solid. However, this will be the first time that I have used large floorstanding speakers on a suspended wooden floor, as my last house had solid concrete (we moved just before Christmas).

Do any La Scala users have experience of this scenario and can comment on the best method of isolation or coupling the speakers for the best acoustic results?

Thanks

Do you have a subwoofer?

Back in the 1970s, one of the Audio magazines ran an article on firming up your floor to avoid resonating and bass loss.  They recommended  going into the crawl space and installing a 4 x 6 lintel atop some 4 x 4 posts & piers under, across and pushed up against the floor joists, immobilizing them.   We did that in two houses in a row.   The crawl spaces looked a bit like Stonehenge.  Even with that reinforcement, the couch seems to move when we play certain movies, or the Crystal Clear Records version of Fanfare for the Common Man (big drums and Tam-Tam).

• Like 1

Please describe a suspended floor in the UK.  Do you have a floor hanging from tension rods?  Above an open space? 

Carpet(s) on the floor will absorb or at least attenuate the higher frequencies reflected off the floor; that's good.  It is quite difficult for me to imagine how coupling/attaching a speaker so that it more directly energizes the structure of its dwelling could be good.  I thought spikes were intended to prevent cabinet movement resulting from woofer movement that, in turn, caused tine doppler shifts of the treble.  I don't believe that will occur with La Scalas.  If your floor thumps and booms like a stage, and you have access you can stiffen it some with blocking.

16012219555671.jpg

I would attach those blocke with deck screws so they will be tighter, again, it you have access to the floor joists. 

My current house is built on a slab, unusual for this part of the country, and it is a boon for turntables and young children running like haints. 

You do NOT want to raise the LS bass bins from the floor using 3 or 4 footers; the gap created between bass horn and floor will reduce bass output - something you do NOT want with LaScalas.

If you really need to decouple them from the floor, use either just a large layer of rubber-like material (like what you'd put under a washing machine) or better, that combined with a slab of granite or other very dense material in a "sandwiched" configuration. The important being that there's NO GAP between floor and enclosure.

• Like 1