Rf-5 Crossover Upgrades

Loudly Does It

A while back I posted this thread with the same topic.  

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/175487-crossover-upgrade-for-rf-5/

After some great advice from the forum, I kept doing more research I came across this thread and I was scared off by what happened to him and did not go ahead with the job 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/152035-newbie-looking-to-upgrade-crossovers-on-my-reference-rf-3-ii/

At the time all I had was a soldering iron and not a gun with which I could regulate temperature.  It seems as if the board is very sensitive and I worried about accidentally touching it and frying it.  There isn't a lot of room in the speaker for a new board for all the pieces without moving the foam in there, so I didn't want to risk having to move that around and compromise the sound. Audio is like  a woman.  Extremely temperamental.  So can I clip the lead into the cap ( the 20 uF is the tweeter cap) and weld the 24 awg wire from there to the board I am using inside.  Of course that doesn't solve the problem with the red, 5.5 uF, which also would have to be changed.  Any recommendations on that one, or do I have no other choice but to practice my desoldering so I can take it off.   Thanks.  

thumb_IMG_0518_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0514_1024.jpg

When I had Bob work on my RF-3 XO's, I had seen that thread too.  The guy was not listening to anything that any of the members were saying, and instead just stopped reading when there was the slightest bit of criticism - no matter how constructive (or lack thereof).  I opted to have Bob build mine.  He built them on wood, which looked very nice, and seemed to work very well.  I then installed the XO's in the front of the tower underneath the lower woofer.  I trimmed the foam just a little bit; enough to make room for the components on the board.  There were no issues.  As long as you're leaving the foam around the port you shouldn't have a problem.

I would imagine that the 5's should respond well to an XO update.  My 3's did, to my ears anyway.  I also swapped out the tweeter diaphragms, but I'm not sure you'd want/need to do this in the 5's.

After reading through that thread, what could possibly go wrong, right?

That thread is a good one. He was warned. I tried to stop him. Gave him plenty of reasons to let someone else do it. He got more keystrokes out of me than he deserved. 

The RF-5 is a pain. It’s not like you can just drop new capacitors into those spaces, and then when you get creative, you realize the leads won’t reach. There’s a few good “gotchas” with these. @carlthess40 offered to help, you should take advantage of that. 

Like I said in the other thread, there are good reasons why I don’t involve myself in the DIY efforts of others. It always starts with asking for a few pointers, and then eventually devolves into rage because I won’t write a tutorial for them. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Do you have all the parts? If so I can do it for you. Just pay the shipping to me and back
Message me if you need the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much would it cost to do them if I had the parts?  You can send me a private message, if you would rather not talk numbers here.

19 hours ago, Deang said:

After reading through that thread, what could possibly go wrong, right?

That thread is a good one. He was warned. I tried to stop him. Gave him plenty of reasons to let someone else do it. He got more keystrokes out of me than he deserved. 

The RF-5 is a pain. It’s not like you can just drop new capacitors into those spaces, and then when you get creative, you realize the leads won’t reach. There’s a few good “gotchas” with these. @carlthess40 offered to help, you should take advantage of that. 

Like I said in the other thread, there are good reasons why I don’t involve myself in the DIY efforts of others. It always starts with asking for a few pointers, and then eventually devolves into rage because I won’t write a tutorial for them. 

JUST TELL ME HOW TO DO IT!!!🤣

No, seriously, I have a shelf in the garage with many of the amps, drivers, caps, boards, and cabinets I've fried, over-and-under chopped, burned, put a screwdriver through, or otherwise destroyed in my 30 years of "learning" how to DIY. I even blew up a few meters, mics, and scopes. The guy who really knows how to do it is the guy who knows all the countless ways it can go wrong.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...