Klipsch KG2.2 Rebuild...sort of....

stepher

Something abt the shortest distance between 2 points is very rarely a straight line :(

I'm finally getting around to replacing the caps in my KG2.2 x-overs. Since I'm the original owner, the box interiors have not seen the light of day for 20+ years. So I opened them up the other day to verify the caps I need to get.

The front speaker panel (plastic) has 8 screws that attach it to the main case. Most of the screws required some reasonable effort to unscrew them. However, 1 screw came out too easily. I thought that odd so out of curiosity I attempted to drive the screw back in only to discover it was stripped. Once I removed the panel I could see that the screw was originally driven in at enuf of an angle that it headed toward the inside part of the furring/mounting strip and cracked ~1" section of wood (the piece is still attached, but barely).

Any suggestions on how to fix this without affecting the acoustics of the box? I have a couple of ideas that may work, but would appreciate input so I can avoid making it worse. Thx.

A second, sort-of-related question....I'm also considering replacing the tweeters (original and working fine) with Crites titanium versions. Any pros and/or cons for someone having done something of the sort. Is it really worth it for these speakers? Again, thx.

A 3rd related question.....(more of "A man with no watches doesn't know the time. A man with 2 is never sure.") I have xover schematics  (both are "B" revisions) for both the KG2.2. and KG2.5. The 2.2 schematic shows 25/25 uF for the 2 non-polarized electrolytics while the 2.5 shows 25/18 uF. However, when I actually opened up my 2.2 box, the xover has the 25/18 caps installed. Curious if anyone knows abt the why for this. My understanding is that the 2.5 uses a different (more recent?) woofer than the 2.2 and, while the tweeters are the same model, mine supposedly has a phenolic diaphragm and the 2.5 is poly. Be interested in any insight here.

Appreciate any feedback...cheers....

Edited by stepher
Updated with 1 more ??

Is the screw hole that's stripped out in wood or plastic?  I know those KG 2.2's are basically an in-wall speakers stuck into a wood cabinet...pretty much.  lol.  I just sold a pair that never got used.  I did take them apart a few times, though.  If the stripped hole is in wood, fill the hole with some wood glue, then use the tips of a couple of toothpicks stuck in the hole and let dry.  Wood filler works reasonably well, too.

On 2/12/2020 at 5:59 AM, avguytx said:

Is the screw hole that's stripped out in wood or plastic?  I know those KG 2.2's are basically an in-wall speakers stuck into a wood cabinet...pretty much.  lol.  I just sold a pair that never got used.  I did take them apart a few times, though.  If the stripped hole is in wood, fill the hole with some wood glue, then use the tips of a couple of toothpicks stuck in the hole and let dry.  Wood filler works reasonably well, too.

Appreciate the feedback.

The problem is that the angle of the drilling followed by the original installation of the screw caused the wood to crack right across the hole and left a triangular piece held on at one end by very little wood. I'd' put up a pic of it but I already closed it back up. I still need to replace the xover caps so will try to  remember to post a photo of it then.

1 thought is to cut and remove the short section of wood and replace it to create a new hole. Another would be to use glue and a couple of screws to reattach the cracked piece and hope that it holds...tho, I would be doubtful on that. A 3rd one would be to try and drill a new hole in the same place but in at an opposite angle (towards the outside). This last one may be the easiest and least messy way.

Never thought of the 2.2s as a repurposing of in-wall speakers. Now that you mention it, tho, I can see how that would be. The front panel has both 6" 'woofers', tweeter and xover mounted on it. would be pretty easy to remove the front panel assembly and mount it somewhere else. Not sure what happens to the spkrs without the box to tune the sound.

Thx and cheers....

Edited by stepher
Correction

3 minutes ago, stepher said:

Appreciate the feedback.

The problem is that the angle of the drilling followed by the original installation of the screw caused the wood to crack right across the hole and left a triangular piece held on at one end by very little wood. I'd' put up a pic of it but I already closed it back up. I still need to replace the xover caps so will try to  remember to post a photo of it then.

1 thought is to cut and remove the short section of wood and replace it to create a new hole. Another would be to use glue and a couple of screws to reattach the cracked piece and hope that it holds...tho, I would be doubtful on that. A 3rd one would be to try and drill a new hole in the same place but in at an opposite angle (towards the outside). This last one may be the easiest and least messy way.

Never thought of the 2.2s as a repurposing of in-wall speakers. Now that you mention it, tho, I can see how that would be. The front panel has both 6" 'woofers', tweeter and xover mounted on it. would be pretty easy to rmeove the front panel assembly and mount it somewhere else. Not sure what happens to the spkrs without the box to tuen the sound.

Thx and cheers....

Gluing another piece of wood on there and clamping it on might work but without seeing it, it's hard to say.  Wood glue will definitely create a strong bond.

I only say that about the inwall speaker look as I sold tons of in-walls with dual 6.5" speakers in them that used  the identical frame with different mids, tweeters, & crossovers through the years.  It's not necessarily a bad way of making those; just quicker and cheaper I guess.  Whatever company that made those for them just used the specs they wanted after they were designed.  Common practice.  2.2's were coming out right as in-wall speakers were starting to trickle out...very early days.