DIY La Scala - 1 down - 3 to go!

Robbie010

Nice work.

What woofer is that?  I see an American flag which is used by Eminence IIRC.  

You seem to have plenty of room in the dog house with almost an inch of clearance on either side.  I read that some of Bob Crites' woofers don't fit if only by a smidge.  They must be close, though. 

Did you widen the design of the dog house?

WMcD

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WMcD said:

Nice work.

What woofer is that?  I see an American flag which is used by Eminence IIRC.  

You seem to have plenty of room in the dog house with almost an inch of clearance on either side.  I read that some of Bob Crites' woofers don't fit.  Did you stretch the design?

WMcD

Thanks, the woofers are eminence kappa 15c. 

I think the clearance looks a little more that it is but yes, I made the motorboard 400mm wide to make sure the woofers fits comfortably. 

Looking Good!  I see the autoformers got a little roughed up.  They were fine when I sent them.   I should have mentioned that when I wrapped the common wire on the barrier strips,  I intended them to be on the crossover side.  It will work as you have it, but it will be easier to connect/disconnect the cables from the amp and to the drivers.  

If the amp is still on, as you connect/disconnect a + wire it will be too easy to touch it to the common wire below it.  

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

Looking good, very good.

Where’d you get the material?

It’s just some leftover material that I had. I used it to re-cover some old Wharfedale speakers on another project. 

If I recall it was off eBay for a few pounds. 

• Like 1

Quick update on these.... I did a little testing with the drivers and crossover this week, while I am still waiting for the mid horns to arrive, unfortunately, one of the woofers was dead! 🥺

School boy error, I bought them used a few months ago and never tested them when I got them..... anyhow, every cloud has a silver lining, I’ve now managed to pick up a pair of K33 (round magnet) drivers from Denmark, so the complete speakers will now be using all original klipsch drivers and horns. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 11:11 AM, mboxler said:

I should have mentioned that when I wrapped the common wire on the barrier strips,  I intended them to be on the crossover side.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:11 AM, mboxler said:

If the amp is still on, as you connect/disconnect a + wire it will be too easy to touch it to the common wire below it.  

Insulated jumper combs are neater than wire jumpers:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jumper+combs&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=oC1OpIuE9PWQ-M%3A%2CMhjxi_OopDOVCM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kT5SwnLFGq7-b4an1utXY9HIea_eA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjOmdzZo43oAhVKYKwKHVuiBU4Q9QEwAHoECAoQFg#imgrc=oC1OpIuE9PWQ-M:

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a short while since I updated here so for anyone that may be following the thread, here is a brief update:

I have now installed braces to tame the resonance of the bass cabs and have knocked up a pair of wooden horns to use until the proper ones turn up...... whenever that may be!

5B186EFC-DDE5-48F1-A9AF-9C169E07D312.jpeg

603545F7-4449-49E2-B136-06976325D2C8.jpeg

CA260D2A-4693-4BD3-96AF-DC330D7B4C4F.jpeg

31816C41-F983-43F1-A134-3067A476B3BA.jpeg

ABC4E233-1B56-47A5-8996-6D7C9DD2DEF4.jpeg

55F9105E-5C40-4F33-9B2D-BC70D3C357FB.jpeg

F74BDB07-2978-4CC1-8801-59C3A450A369.jpeg

77C3C5D7-88D3-456D-9536-FB43052B5A81.jpeg

EA0517AC-86BF-4003-B454-A59A413FB235.jpeg

• Like 1