Hearing Aid

whatever55

I don’t want to be discouraging, but hearing aids aren’t kind to music. I’ve complained to the doctor about it and was told that the technology is just not the best for music. 

If i’m at a venue that is super loud, i will take out my hearing aids. Before, i’d put on headphone and just crank the volume, but my hearing has deteriorated to the point that i can put my computer volume or iPod on max and it’s not even loud to me. 

At home or in the car, some highs get squeaky and sometimes the bass is over exaggerated.  Overall, it just doesn’t sound natural.  It’s better than not hearing anything and you do learn to adapt and enjoy what you can hear. 

The audiologist will be able to adjust your hearing aids ... just tell them what is working and what isn’t working and tell them ahead of time that listening to music is high on your list -- mine are a few years old and the technology is changing rapidly. 

• Like 2

Just don’t be a punk like me.  My first meeting with my new bosses, i told them that i had a hearing problem (this was before i had hearing aids). The department head says, “Do I need to talk slower then?” I said, “No, talk louder, i’m deaf not stupid.”  Probably not the best first impression. 

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

My first meeting with my new bosses, i told them that i had a hearing problem (this was before i had hearing aids). The department head says, “Do I need to talk slower then?” I said, “No, talk louder, i’m deaf not stupid.”  Probably not the best first impression. 

That's hilarious. But it was true....what is slow gonna do for you? read their lips?

i will be a candidate for hearing aids in ~ 5 or 10 years. I have difficulty in noisy rooms, multiple conversations. But i can still communicate on/via my phone. Woman's voices on the phone are the litmus test, least for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

I use mine for conversation and take it out When listening to my music system. Their microphones pick up sounds from peculiar angles which seems to add more distortion than clarity.

What if you hard of hearing guys just get a real quality microphone and boost the crap out of it to the earphones on your ears.

JJK

15 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

AKA headphones.........

if I put headphones over my hearing aids ... feedback. 

unless there is a lot of power, headphones without my hearing aids are of no use.  iPhone XR, iPod on full blast are enough to hear but are not loud. My hearing doesn't start until 70 decibels. 

7 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

if I put headphones over my hearing aids ... feedback. 

unless there is a lot of power, headphones without my hearing aids are of no use.  iPhone XR, iPod on full blast are enough to hear but are not loud. My hearing doesn't start until 70 decibels. 

Wow!

JJK

37 minutes ago, KlipschFish said:

Would a nice pair of IE phones work temporarily for listening? I don't know if they are strong enough.

I can steam music from my computer directly to my hearing aids ... that helps considerably. I know that I'm not listening to the quality as when I was able to let the Cornwalls breathe, but with many things in life, you get by with what you have.  I don't compare my hearing aids to anything else, so that helps -- it is what it is and you train your brain to enjoy it anyway.

4 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I can steam music from my computer directly to my hearing aids ... that helps considerably. I know that I'm not listening to the quality as when I was able to let the Cornwalls breathe, but with many things in life, you get by with what you have.  I don't compare my hearing aids to anything else, so that helps -- it is what it is and you train your brain to enjoy it anyway.

That’s interesting. Hearing aids are tailored to proportionally amplify frequencies that you hear poorly attempting to bring hearing more normal across all frequencies. Can your computer do this?

9 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Actually if the computer has an equalizer function you should be able to attenuate some frequencies ore than others. If you know your audiogram you could try and match them. Jeesh getting old sucks.

I have a brand new MacBook Pro, so not sure if it has EQ ability ... well, actually I listen to music mostly in my bedroom where I have an older MacBook Pro -- like a 2103 version.

I asked my audiologist if there was anything that could be done and she said that sadly hearing aids aren't that great as far as musical quality goes. 

I'm using iTunes version 12.8 on my 2009 macbook pro. I stream my music via Airplay. Above the 'address bar' (there isn't one really in itunes) you have the different links for 'File', 'Edit' etc. Under 'Window',  you will find iTune's built in equalizer. You can shove the frequency buttons up to effect volume change somewhat. You may know this already.

Edited by KlipschFish
  • Thanks 1