Heresy IV in the house!

SteveAudioFan

The "negative" that caught my ear was the pronunciation of the name (two syllables instead of three - and one other similar though I've now forgotten what it was).   But I'm forgiving in that respect because I'm guilty of the same sort of thing.  I'd never heard anybody else say "anechoic" until that "audiophiliac" dude (forget his name) said it and I thought it odd until I looked it up and found it was me who was...

3 hours ago, glens said:

The "negative" that caught my ear was the pronunciation of the name (two syllables instead of three - and one other similar though I've now forgotten what it was).   But I'm forgiving in that respect because I'm guilty of the same sort of thing.  I'd never heard anybody else say "anechoic" until that "audiophiliac" dude (forget his name) said it and I thought it odd until I looked it up and found it was me who was...

I find it funny too how he pronounced the name Heresy. I've heard others say it that way and I'm always wondering why...

On 2/14/2020 at 9:38 PM, Dave1290 said:

Great read.  Nice and tight, factual and clean.  Sure there will be those that can't hear a difference but I'm sure there IS a difference.  Glad you're enjoying them and welcome to the Forum.

On 2/15/2020 at 7:24 PM, SteveAudioFan said:

Thanks all. They are surpassing my expectations and are for me, well worth the cost. Also, I saw someone mention fancy USB cables. I have seen some at $2k and of course we can buy one for $10 on Amazon that will work great. But when you get into equipment that can be ultra revealing you can easily hear differences in cables, wether it is speaker, analog IC's or yes even digital. I have several USB cables here and all sound different. Will the more expensive sound better? No, not always. I do not think chasing USB Cales are worth it as the differences can be small or non existent for most. As for the Heresy IV's, ahh they are so so so good. Love them. 

Cables are all about synergy with your system. Wire sounds different. A high priced cable is not always better.

• 3 weeks later...

First post, but looking forward to more.

I’m configuring a system using Heresy 4’s as the front channels in a home theatre where music will be 75% of their use.  My question is what Klipsch center channel works best for this speaker?  My understanding of center channels is that they would best be used when configured with the Reference Premier mains and not the Heritage line of speakers.  Am I wrong here?

Just love the non-tower look and sound of the Forte and Heresy speakers.

I've only got two speakers in my system (Forte III - 75% TV/DVD), but if I felt the need for a center channel speaker I'd have to say it must completely match the sonic presentation of the main units.  I surely wouldn't bother with it otherwise.  Klipsch (and others) make dedicated center-channel speakers but to my knowledge, only a Heresy IV will match a Heresy IV.

On 3/8/2020 at 11:35 AM, glens said:

I've only got two speakers in my system (Forte III - 75% TV/DVD), but if I felt the need for a center channel speaker I'd have to say it must completely match the sonic presentation of the main units.  I surely wouldn't bother with it otherwise.  Klipsch (and others) make dedicated center-channel speakers but to my knowledge, only a Heresy IV will match a Heresy IV.

Thanks for the help here. Your information confirms what I’ve just been guessing at.  Klipsch RF7, etc., probably need centers more.

Edited by Surveyor1953

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2020 at 4:25 PM, dtr20 said:

I said the same thing, but then I witnessed a demo of the same song playing with a typical Staples USB cable and some expensive audioquest USB cables. The audioquest rep explained some technical stuff that I don't remember, but I will say that you could definitely hear an improvement, not sure if it's worth the price tag.

Can someone provide a link to a decent explanation of how this is possible? Digital information over USB cables is not allowed to be lossy. It's not like USB can transfer in some form of local UDP. The exact sequence of 0s and 1s that enters the cable at one end should exit it at the other. I realize the differences in DACs and converting digital one way or the other, but for information transfer...

I'm also more in the "bits is bits" camp too, but I do think it is important to get a good quality USB cable.  USB transports digital bits using an analog signal, and that analog signal is converted to zeros and ones at each end by the USB controller.  The cleaner the analog signal, the less work those USB controllers have to do, and the less noise they generate.  All that said, don't go crazy - just get a decent cable one or two steps above what you would find in an office supply store IMHO.  PS - I don't use USB so I can't make a recommendation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thedave said:

Can someone provide a link to a decent explanation of how this is possible? Digital information over USB cables is not allowed to be lossy. It's not like USB can transfer in some form of local UDP. The exact sequence of 0s and 1s that enters the cable at one end should exit it at the other. I realize the differences in DACs and converting digital one way or the other, but for information transfer...

if you take the direct digital output from a DAC chip and connect it to a headphone the headphone will at to integrate it and you will hear the music that is playing through the DAC. The point of telling you this is that you need to remember that a digital signal is sampled so may times a second that the resulting wave form is almost a copy of the analog waveform. What this means is that once into a cable the electromagnetic and electrostatic fields generated by that digital signal are the same as if the analog signal were traveling through the cable. In fact for all purposes  you cable does not see a difference it is as it you had never left the analog domain. so all the things which impact analog are now impacting your digital signal. This might help you to appreciate why digital cable can and do impact what you hear. I hope this is of interest and some use.

• Like 3

Bits are bits, and a USB cable either works or it doesn't.  It's a balanced signal so induced noise will not be problematic so long as the cable is made to spec.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/200233/how-does-the-usb-protocol-work gives a couple good-enough answers to the question asked therein.

On 4/23/2020 at 3:40 PM, pbphoto said:

USB transports digital bits using an analog signal, and that analog signal is converted to zeros and ones at each end by the USB controller.

What?  Really.  What?  An analog signal?  Sorry, but that's plain wrong.  It's just ones and zeros.

On 4/23/2020 at 3:54 PM, moray james said:

if you take the direct digital output from a DAC chip and connect it...

What digital information is escaping in the output of a digital-to-analog converter?

Bits are bits and the signal will be exactly the same through an interconnect which meets the required specification as through one which also does but is made much fancier and costlier.  Exactly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glens said:
   On 4/23/2020 at 2:40 PM,  pbphoto said: 

USB transports digital bits using an analog signal, and that analog signal is converted to zeros and ones at each end by the USB controller.

What?  Really.  What?  An analog signal?  Sorry, but that's plain wrong.  It's just ones and zeros.

What really?  Is there a magic one and zero sender and receiver on a USB cable?  What I'm referring to is there are no zeros and ones marching down the cable in-order.  Ones and zeros are converted to voltage differences relative to ground, and these are converted at each end by the USB controllers to ones and zeros.

• Like 1