DJ'ing a dance with my Klipsch/SVS next weekend!

wuzzzer

Went to scope out the venue where my wife and I are hosting a party next Saturday.  Has a great raised stage for speakers and gear.  Should be about 100 friends of ours coming.  I'll be spinning the tunes and bringing my Heresys and SB-2000 subs.  It'll be fun to hear them opened up.  Living in an apartment since I got them hasn't allowed for too much tomfoolery volume-wise.  Playing everything from disco, country line dances, 60s-90s rock, rock ballads, modern dance.  Something for everyone.

I've DJ'd a ton of wedding/anniversary/grad parties for friends and family over the years but haven't done any in quite a while.  I always enjoyed doing it and always used whatever speakers and subs I had at the time.  This will be the first time I'm not using physical media for the music - I put everything on my laptop from my CDs and ripped them as lossless tracks.  I bought a 3.5mm to RCA cable from Amazon for about $7 shipped and hooked everything up to my receiver to make sure it all works as planned.  My wife said if all goes well she wants to have a gig like this twice a year.

The dance is going to be in a building that's owned by a local hotel where one of our friends works and they can reserve it for free any time it isn't in use.  Pot luck for food and drinks.

Should be fun!  :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Sounds like fun. How big is this venue for heresies and two sealed 12" subs.....? 

It's in about 1/3 of an old barn.  No idea exactly how big.  Not going for any max SPL awards so they'll do great.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 2/15/2020 at 8:04 PM, wuzzzer said:

My wife said if all goes well she wants to have a gig like this twice a year.

It will be fun, your wife is right if asked I am sure people will want to do it more often.

On 2/15/2020 at 8:04 PM, wuzzzer said:

.  It'll be fun to hear them opened up.

Yes it will and they will sound very good, just be sure your the one in control of the volume knob. 

Like Westcoastdrums said.................we will need pics. 

Have fun, should be easy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

I don't know much about this whole DJ thing, but I read that some of these professional DJs are making tens of millions of dollars each year. Must be more than just putting on a record. 

My nephew was into it and followed some.  They put on shows like a concert, mixing and matching sounds with their equipment.  It's like composing but using anyone else's samples.  Some of it can be pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used my two La Scala for our local Filipino-American Christmast party. We had almost 100 people in a 49x37 room (20+ ceilings), and was great. Didn't have subs and the bass was still good enough for them to be happy. The previous purveyors of music have used self powered boxes on a stand with direct radiators. The LS walk all over those.

We were to have double the space, where I would have brought the MWMs for the bottom end, but we didn't have room for them.

• Like 1

My late uncle did our wedding with two Heresy's and a couple SVS cylinder subs. It sounded better than I expected in a medium-large sized room.

He missed his calling in life and this was right up his alley. RIP.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Had a blast!  It was great getting the speakers pumping.  They sounded fantastic and I had the volume between -10.0 and -3.0 depending on the song and it was plenty loud. 

Everyone said it was a great mix of music and that it sounded great.  I danced more than I ever have at any dance.

Now to get everything hooked back up at home.  😬

• Like 4